PDA

View Full Version : Limp-reraising

JaBlue
03-22-2005, 03:19 AM
I wanted to get a discussion going on the limp-reraise with AA/KK from UTG or UTG+1. Assume you're playing against thinking opposition. Not necessarily good, but thinking.

In the early levels I never limp-reraise. Its playing your hand face up with pretty decent sized stacks, and you're just begging for somebody to bust you when you're OOP and they have the implied odds to hit the monster. Also in early levels, an early limp might start a family pot, which I most definitely do not want.

I think there is a time for the LRR play, though. I think this is when the average stack is small in relation to the blinds, say a little above 10. Now people are generally in raise or fold mode and will either try to punish you or just fold. The likeliness of a family pot is greatly diminished. Also, when they try to punish you, you can push on them and its very possible that they are pot committed; IE you both have 15BB, you limp, button raises to 5BB, you push for 10 more. They're now getting a little better than 2:1 on the call. Also, I am willing to go broke with 15BB and aces. If they outdraw me, then that's the risk I take. With, say, 50BB+, though, I am not willing to go broke with aces. Decisions are much trickier.

Anyway, discuss the limp-reraise play and when you would use it in a tournamnet and why. Please avoid vagaries like "to build a pot preflop" without more information included.

schwza
03-22-2005, 04:45 PM
i never do it. one reason is that in most tourneys i'm in, i'm raising more pots than anyone else at the table, so i'm fairly likely to get action with a raise.

the only time i'd think about doing it (this is hypothetical) is if i limped in E/MP with a hand like 66, got raised by maniac button who i've seen fold to reraises, and i might push if it were for a reasonable size raise. but like i said, i don't really do it.

another limpRR issue i'd like to see discussed is doing it from the SB when it's folded to you, both with a real hand and as a bluff.