PDA

View Full Version : UCONN fans...

34TheTruth34
03-22-2005, 02:19 AM
...is this all on Jim Calhoun?

I wanted to post this immediately after the game, but after using my better judgement, I decided to take a day to relax, gather my thoughts, think about what I want to say, and make a well thought-out post as opposed to just dropping a bunch of expletives about how shi**y UConn played. So here goes...

UConn's four postseason games were the most uninspired, heartless, apathetic games I've ever seen in my life. I mean really, what does it take to be ready for the Big East tournament?? And the NCAA tournament? You know, "The Big Dance" (that's the tournament that you won last year, guys). That's an important little event, no???

Had they made it to the Elite 8, battled it out, and lost to a more talented UNC team, that's one thing. Nobody expects them to win the NCAA championship every year. They certainly weren't the best team in the field this year. But this not trying sh*t is absolutely horrible. It's UNACCEPTABLE. The basketball program has been built up by Calhoun from nothing and has come too far to go out like this. They played like they didn't even want to be there. Calhoun had to sub in Ed Nelson and bench the much more talented Josh Boone just to give them a lift because Nelson was the only one who even seemed to care about winning the game.

If you're not from Connecticut and/or aren't familiar with the sports scene here, you're probably wondering what all the fuss is about. Since the Hartford Whalers left, there has been no professional sports in CT. Sure, we are right on the dividing line of the greatest rivalry in professional sports, Yanks vs. Sox, but basically there's not much else here. But the people in this state love their UConn Huskies Basketball. Both the mens and womens teams are adored by people all over the state. Most of these fans have no official ties to UConn (i.e., they didn't graduate from there or anything, they're just fans). I can't imagine what some of these people must have thought after having to watch that.

I'm not trying to take anything away from NC State, because they're a decent team who played a pretty good game. But let's call a spade a spade here, they're really nowhere near as talented as UConn. They just wanted it more. And, much like in their Big East Tournament flame out against Syracuse, once UConn decided they actually felt like playing, it was too late.

So, who's to blame here? Is it Calhoun for not having them ready to play? Is it the fact that they won last year, so maybe it just didn't seem as important? Is it something else that I'm missing? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

If you need me, I'll be donning a maroon sweatshirt and pretending I graduated from UMass...

istewart
03-22-2005, 02:21 AM
The child of Okafor/Taurasi will become the greatest coach ever.

DougOzzzz
03-22-2005, 02:41 AM
Well, my feeling is that this one was a long time coming. And I don't blame it on Calhoun. You can only get lucky for so long in the NCAA tournament.

I mean for christs sake, UConn under Calhoun was a perfect 27-0 against 6-16 seeds in the tourney before Sunday. Some of these wins even came when UConn was a lower seed... i.e. 11 vs. Shaq's LSU (6 seed), 9 vs. Nebraska (8 seed), etc.

UConn's played mediocre against NC State... but the Wolfpack also hit 10 of 20 3's, vs. UConn's 0 for 5 or some crap. They obviously were the more talented team - most scouts would put UConn #2 in talent behind UNC. Unfortunately most of the talent is overstocked at F/C. Their roster by the NCAA tourney looked like 8 F/C's and 1 guard. The guard was pretty good, but face it, they weren't going that far without at least 2 guards.

I am disappointed that UConn lost. Was kinda pissed off at that ending, especially the horrible no-call with 1 min left when that guy knocked Williams down and then dished it off for the open 3. That was the play that really won the game for NC State.

Calhoun is idolized like a god here in CT... he's not one. A week ago the Courant was calling this Calhoun's best coaching job ever. Give me a break... My only real complaint about Calhoun though is his inflexibility with playing guys with fouls.

The day UConn gets knocked out of the tourney is usually one of the worst days of the year for me. I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for me though. In the past 14 months, my teams have only won 2 super bowls, 2 national championships, a world series, and their first bowl game. Poor me.

Clarkmeister
03-22-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2 national championships

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, another male groupie.

holeplug
03-22-2005, 02:51 AM
Isn't there like a 5 year grace period after your team wins a national title?

DougOzzzz
03-22-2005, 02:54 AM
Yeah.... and Calhoun is smart enough to wait exactly 5 years between national championships too. Just wait till 2009.

DougOzzzz
03-22-2005, 03:02 AM
bah. You can't live in Connecticut and not be a UConn women's bball fan. There are laws against it.

Clarkmeister
03-22-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
bah. You can't live in Connecticut and not be a UConn women's bball fan. There are laws against it.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, I'd take a look into relocation. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I just wish that because of their HQ location in Conneticut ESPN wouldn't feel so obligated to force women's basketball down the rest of our throats.

JTG51
03-22-2005, 03:27 AM
First, I think the unispired and heartless are way overused in sports after a team loses. When you turn the ball over a lot and doen't shoot well, you're going to look uninspired. Do you honestly think they weren't trying to win?

Second, as a UConn fan, you should have learned by now not to question Calhoun. He's pretty good at what he does. Maybe this wasn't his best coaching job ever, but who cares? He gets a free pass forever in my book.

JTG51
03-22-2005, 03:29 AM
"My only real complaint about Calhoun though is his inflexibility with playing guys with fouls."

That worked out pretty well last year, no?

JTG51
03-22-2005, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't there like a 5 year grace period after your team wins a national title?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. And when you win a second, you get a forever grace period.

SinCityGuy
03-22-2005, 05:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not trying to take anything away from NC State, because they're a decent team who played a pretty good game. But let's call a spade a spade here, they're really nowhere near as talented as UConn.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best team always wins in the NCAA tournament? This is news to me.

Uston
03-22-2005, 09:13 AM
My only real complaint about Calhoun though is his inflexibility with playing guys with fouls.

Please rewatch last year's game against Duke.

Ya know, the one where Nick Horvath was guarding Emeka Okafor in the final five minutes because Duke's only two decent frontcourt players had fouled out.

Uston
03-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Is it something else that I'm missing?

I'd say there's a lot that you're missing.

How many ballhandlers did this team have? One.

How many guards capable of beating his man off the dribble? One, if you're being generous.

How many reliable three point shooters? By the time the NC State game rolled around there was maybe one.

This team was in a bit of trouble when AJ Price almost died. They were in a lot more trouble when Rashad Anderson almost died. When Denham Brown twisted his knee in the first round of the Big East tournament, you could shave another 10% off of their chances of winning a few games in the NCAA's. Another 10% when Antonio Kellogg was dismissed from the team.

Didn't you notice the freaking walk-on who was running the point towards the end of the first half? That should have clued you in that you weren't in store for a great week of UConn basketball.

Get off the bridge. UConn will be a preseason top six or seven team next year, even if Villanueva is in the NBA.

DougOzzzz
03-22-2005, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My only real complaint about Calhoun though is his inflexibility with playing guys with fouls.

Please rewatch last year's game against Duke.

Ya know, the one where Nick Horvath was guarding Emeka Okafor in the final five minutes because Duke's only two decent frontcourt players had fouled out.

[/ QUOTE ]

My belief is that every minute of play is of the same importance as every other minute of play. The way to maximize a player's minutes is not to sit him on the bench when he picks up X amount of fouls. If Duke had sat out their good frontcourt players to avoid fouling out then they would have been taken advantage of earlier in the game.

Shajen
03-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Villanueva to declare himself eligible for the draft after his sophomore year. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2018702)

I understand why these kids are going pro early, but damned if I wish (as a fan) they didn't.

I can imagine how good Duke could be with Deng still playing for Coach K...

Uston
03-22-2005, 10:12 AM

Worse than UConn would have been with Gordon and Okafor. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

DougOzzzz
03-22-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Villanueva to declare himself eligible for the draft after his sophomore year. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2018702)

I understand why these kids are going pro early, but damned if I wish (as a fan) they didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sucks, but not unexpected. UConn will still be ranked high in the preseason polls.

Shajen
03-22-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Worse than UConn would have been with Gordon and Okafor. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're sticking to your guns, I'll give you that. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

TomHimself
03-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Uconn will do very good next year, they probaly will win it. As long as rudy gay doesn't go pro becaus espn ranked him as a top nba prospect. And aj proce will be healthy and migh fit well as the two guard seeing howmarcus williams did good as the pg.

DougOzzzz
03-22-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Uconn will do very good next year, they probaly will win it. As long as rudy gay doesn't go pro becaus espn ranked him as a top nba prospect. And aj proce will be healthy and migh fit well as the two guard seeing howmarcus williams did good as the pg.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be surprised if Gay goes pro. UConn can afford to lose Villanueva, but losing both Villanueva and Gay might hurt.

I suspect they'll be Top 5 preseason next year. Alot can happen though - they may or may not be as good as advertised.

Shajen
03-22-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

UConn can afford to lose Villanueva

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. He was a huge part of that team and I don't think they come close to winning it all now.

TomHimself
03-22-2005, 12:49 PM
they'll come close, i'm sure they have top high school prospects being recruited so they can afford missing villanueva

DougOzzzz
03-22-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

UConn can afford to lose Villanueva

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. He was a huge part of that team and I don't think they come close to winning it all now.

[/ QUOTE ]

It definitely doesn't help them to lose Villanueva, but compared to other teams they are losing very little. UConn has no contributing seniors. Last year they lost 2 of the top 10 players in college basketball and they managed to be pretty decent this year.

UConn had alot of depth at power forward/center this year. The dropoff from Villanueva to the next guy is not that much. If they go into next season losing just Villanueva to the NBA, they'll be top 5 preseason.

Uston
03-22-2005, 01:29 PM
If Villanueva leaves, UConn will likely have three future lottery picks in their frontcourt. The only downside is that

http://www.uconnrecruiting.net/images/25_andrewbynumboo_1_.jpg

will only be a freshman.

34TheTruth34
03-22-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First, I think the unispired and heartless are way overused in sports after a team loses

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe so. But did you watch the four postseason games they played this year? Because I did. The game against Georgetown (who they beat by like 25 a couple of days earlier) was horrendous. They made one FG in the last five minutes of the game. They won because they had more talent than Georgetown, plain and simple. Here is a quote from Jim Calhoun after the game:

"They had the mental attitude before the game that it was a matter of pushing the button and we would win. I had to work the entire game to get them out of that."

And this is what Rudy Gay said after the game:

"It was closer than I thought it would be"

I probably don't have to remind you about the Syracuse game (another team that they beat soundly only a couple of days earlier) where they shot poorly and played like crap.

My problem with this team is that they think that just because they show up and they're the defending champs, other teams are just going to roll over for them.

[ QUOTE ]
When you turn the ball over a lot and doen't shoot well, you're going to look uninspired

[/ QUOTE ]

and when you do it in 4 straight games, you're going to look uninspired in 4 straight games

[ QUOTE ]
Do you honestly think they weren't trying to win?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I think that they really didn't care whether they won or not. And by the time they decided they really wanted to win, it was too late.

[ QUOTE ]
Second, as a UConn fan, you should have learned by now not to question Calhoun.

[/ QUOTE ]

umm...why?

[ QUOTE ]
He's pretty good at what he does

[/ QUOTE ]

he is normally a great leader and motivator, which is what makes this job this season particularly bad. But then again, when you have to try to get the team inspired to play in major postseason tournaments, then maybe there's something just wrong with the players to begin with.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe this wasn't his best coaching job ever,

[/ QUOTE ]

duh

[ QUOTE ]
but who cares?

[/ QUOTE ]

apparently me. And you should too.

34TheTruth34
03-22-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. And when you win a second, you get a forever grace period.

[/ QUOTE ]

so your argument is that because they won last year, it's OK if they don't want to show up and play hard??? If anything, the two titles should make you expect MORE, not less.

JTG51
03-23-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No, but I think that they really didn't care whether they won or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to try to say this nicely, but I can't think of a way. So, that's really dumb. If you don't think they were trying to win, you're crazy.

But you know what? If winning wasn't their absolute top priority this year, that's understandable since TWO PLAYERS ALMOST DIED THIS SEASON!

As for the rest of the stuff, you act like the team owes you something. They don't. They're college kids. Just enjoy the games and stop expecting them to be robots. Poker isn't the only game with variance. No team plays it's best every game. UConn ran good in the post season last year. They ran bad this year. Hopefully next year will be better.

34TheTruth34
03-23-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't think they were trying to win, you're crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If winning wasn't their absolute top priority this year, that's understandable

[/ QUOTE ]

JTG51
03-23-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't think they were trying to win, you're crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If winning wasn't their absolute top priority this year, that's understandable

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it. Are you trying to say that one sentence contradicts the other?

pshreck
03-23-2005, 01:58 AM
I think his implication was close enough, even if they don't technically contradict.

34TheTruth34
03-23-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it. Are you trying to say that one sentence contradicts the other?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, as pshrek stated, that was what I was getting at, even though they don't technically contradict.

Why don't you do this? Take a few moments to gather your thoughts. Then, decide if you want to play the "they really tried their hardest but just didn't have enough to win" card or the "they couldn't focus on winning because of all the offcourt problems" card. Then, argue your point. Either way, I still don't buy it.

Jeff, I'm as proud as you are of what this program has accomplished in the last 10 years or so. But the two championships, IMO, don't give them a "free lifetime pass". In my eyes, it sets a certain standard of excellence that is required each and every time this team steps out on the court, during both good times and bad. And I just didn't see it from them this year. In any of the 4 postseason games they played. And that, in my mind, is just unacceptable. That's all I was trying to say...