PDA

View Full Version : Steps

Poolgod32
03-22-2005, 02:11 AM
Finally won my way into Step 3 after finishing third twice tonight. Anyone have any advice for the Step 3s??

citanul
03-22-2005, 02:21 AM
finish in the top x xpots, where x is the number that you need to be in to move on.

citanul

spentrent
03-22-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
finish in the top x xpots, where x is the number that you need to be in to move on.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Drunk tonight?

citanul
03-22-2005, 02:53 AM
nah, but very, very sore from yoga.

citanul

Poolgod32
03-22-2005, 05:13 AM
Lol. Thanks. I was looking for a little more specific advice. What are the Step 3s like compared to the 2s? Does everyone just play ultratight or do you still run into some Loos Agressive players?

EasilyFound
03-22-2005, 08:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Finally won my way into Step 3 after finishing third twice tonight. Anyone have any advice for the Step 3s??

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your advice for playing Step 2, which is where I'm at.

Poolgod32
03-22-2005, 12:16 PM
I am definitely no expert but I can tell you what I found.

With the extra 200 chips, tight is right especially early. Only play the big pairs and no drawing hands. I cannot tell you how many people I saw make their 10 high flush on the river only to lose an Ace high flush.

Position is of course critical. A well timed raise from Late position will often get you heads up on the flop.

Many people seem to play any ace and will call standard raises with it. Therefore if you have a big ace, an ace flops with rags you are usually safe in value betting to get more chips in the pot. I won many hands with AK, Aq and even AJ with my kicker against Ace-rag.

As you start getting into levels 3, 4 and 5 you need to accumulate some chips. I found one point to be really critical to my success here. The two chip leaders will often have twice to 3 times the stack of everyone else at the table. When they are in the blinds, you have an opportunity to steal with and two reasonable cards. If the blinds are high enough to where you need to go all in, it seems more likely to work against them than the others at the table. They dont want to risk falling out of 1st or 2nd

For example if you have t1300 and the blinds are on a SB with t2400 and BB t2600, what are the odds they are going to call a raise especially an allin with anything less than a premium hand? This is a great steal opportunity when you get down to the last 5 players or so. As always youo have to know your opponent.

Ill leave you with one really good example for how dumb the leader can be. Heres the scenario:
3 players left
Chip leader has about t4500 in the BB
SB has about t3100
Button (me) has t2400
Blinds are 200-400

I fold
SB goes all in (3100)
BB sits there a long time and finally calls

SB turns over KK
BB turns over 22

The Kings hold up
This takes the leader down to about 1400

Next hand I cath a K 9
and go all in
SB calls mt with Q 10
and I bust him out to move on to round 3

Why the leader made that call with his 2s I will never know. He didnt need to knock me out he could have let the other guy do it. Anyway when you get to the last 3 or 4 players any Ace plays big in an unraised pot.

Hope this helps. If anyone wants to critique my ananlysis please feel free to do so. Its what I have learned and I am sure it can be improved

Raiser
03-22-2005, 12:18 PM
Uhh, what are steps?

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Poolgod32
03-22-2005, 12:24 PM
The step tourneys on Party poker, Go to their website if you want a full break down

pooh74
03-22-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are you? John Madden?

Raiser
03-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks.

I'm a tard.