PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Needed: Kentucky vs Utah

MEbenhoe
03-21-2005, 11:51 PM
I'm in a pool that my roommate's uncle runs where you pick the winner of every individual game. One that is really tripping me up is the Kentucky vs Utah game. I can't convince myself either way on this one. So opinions on who will win, and why?

Edge34
03-21-2005, 11:56 PM
Utah.

Andrew Bogut.

I'm really just going on my feel for this one. I like Utah's hustle*, and when they're on, they're tough to beat.

*"hustle" is used VERY lightly in reference to Andrew Bogut, perhaps one of the few athletes on the planet slower than Maurice Clarett.

**I picked Kentucky in my brackets, but really, who knows how reliable that'll be.

Clarkmeister
03-21-2005, 11:59 PM
If it's just a straight pool, you should take KY as they are about a 63% favorite.

On one hand, you have Tubby with a week to prepare.

On the other, KY hasn't looked good and struggled against two suspect first round opponents, while Utah dominated a very good Oklahoma team wire to wire.

I'd take Kentucky, but its close.

Clarkmeister
03-22-2005, 12:01 AM
I don't know if you watched the Utah games, but I saw every one of the 32 games this weekend (as much as you can see when watching them all) and they are winning pretty much without any meaningful contribution from Bogut. I've been decidedly underwhelmed, but then again, it shows what a dangerous team they are.

MEbenhoe
03-22-2005, 12:03 AM
See this is what I don't like is that I have the same thinking as you, that Kentucky is probably a slight favorite, but I can find so many arguments as to why Utah should win this game.

siccjay
03-22-2005, 12:33 AM
KY owns Utah in the NCAA's. I'm a UK fan and they are waaaay up and down. They played pretty good in spurts against Cinncy. I think they will beat Utah fairly easily.

Edge34
03-22-2005, 12:39 AM
Clark,

You're right, I only saw one of Utah's two games. But winning without any meaningful contribution from the big man makes you wonder what may happen when he hits it. Plus, he hasn't been scoring, but from what I've seen, he draws the defense away every time, frequently opening up his teammates for open shots on the perimeter or others to go down low for the bucket. Kinda like JJ, just because he doesn't get an assist on the line every time doesn't mean he's not helping.

As you said, the teams are the ones winning in the tourney.

bugstud
03-22-2005, 12:43 AM
KY seems like a giant fraud to me. I'd go with utah.

BWebb
03-22-2005, 01:15 AM
KY. Bogut is very good, but Kentucky has the size and depth to pound on Bogut all day. Guard play isn't even close, Kentucky by a mile.

Soul Daddy
03-22-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
KY. Bogut is very good, but Kentucky has the size and depth to pound on Bogut all day. Guard play isn't even close, Kentucky by a mile.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not to mention that you can't ignore history. UK is Utah's tourney daddy.

Brain
03-22-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
See this is what I don't like is that I have the same thinking as you, that Kentucky is probably a slight favorite, but I can find so many arguments as to why Utah should win this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't like having the same thinking as Clark this time of year either. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

banditbdl
03-22-2005, 02:37 AM
I had Utah in the Elite Eight in the big pool I am in just because if you look at their games from these season they are extremely tough when their perimeter players are making shots and I heard this Bogut character was good. However, after I watched their first round win I wanted to shoot myself in the head, they looked absolutely atrocious in that game despite the win. So I guess I'm not a lot of help here...

holeplug
03-22-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On the other, KY hasn't looked good and struggled against two suspect first round opponents

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats funny is I was just watching sportscenter and Jay Bilas was on saying how "great" Kentucky looked in the first 2 rounds of the tourney. I want to see what a bad team looks like to him.

bugstud
03-22-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On the other, KY hasn't looked good and struggled against two suspect first round opponents

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats funny is I was just watching sportscenter and Jay Bilas was on saying how "great" Kentucky looked in the first 2 rounds of the tourney. I want to see what a bad team looks like to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bilas is pretty twofaced

anyway, KY lost to what, South Carolina? They can play as bad as any team in the country.