PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on small blind play: When to raise?

Zeno
10-09-2002, 03:24 AM
Assume a typical 20-40 (Mirage) or 30-60 (Bellagio) game. With what range of hands would a raise be justified out of the small blind under the following conditions:

1. Very good player limps from Late MP.
2. Cutoff and button both call: Average Players.

Just to start things off; would a raise with KQs, J10s, 88, be justified or would a call be better.

How significant would the raising standard change if the very good player limped from EP, everything else the same.

If this is too broad to cover then narrow the parameters to something more specific to illustrate a general strategy or concept. Any helpful input would be appreciated.

-Zeno

drewjustdrew
10-09-2002, 02:04 PM
I keep reading posts about these very good and even average players making very poor preflop decisions. Mainly limping in from late position when they are the first ones to enter the pot. Am I playing out of line or poorly by auto-raising with a playable hand in these situations? I think these players described are weak or poor (pointlessly deceptive) and should be described as such. They are not very strong, good, or even average players. Maybe they play well after the flop, but I doubt it.

Zeno
10-09-2002, 02:50 PM
Well this does come into play but it is difficult to describe players to everyones satisfaction and is probably impossible to do so. What I want to emphazise, to clarify my question, is this: The player that limps in (from EP or MP) is a much better player than the two that limp from the cutoff or button. This can have repercussions throughout the hand but what is the initial consideration when pondering a raise from the small blind and how does it change raising standards -etc, etc....

-Zeno