PDA

View Full Version : Limp + Catch = ?

Onaflag
03-21-2005, 11:19 PM
The Setting: Reno Hilton World Poker Challenge. 150 villains. First half hour of the tourney. Blinds 25/25. T1000 starting chips. Hero has T1050.

Hero is in late position one off the button. 3 limps. Hero limps with JQ. Button folds. SB checks. BB checks. 6 players.

Flop = J /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Check. Bet T100. 2 fold. Raise to T200. Hero ?.

Onaflag..........

Iconoclastic
03-21-2005, 11:22 PM
My first instinct is to push and discourage the draws as well as getting a Top pair or lower two pair to call thinking you have a draw.

Marm
03-21-2005, 11:34 PM
Push, If Not, then a Pot size bet. No need to get fancy this early and let either of the flush or Straight draws come along. IF somebodies got a set of 3's (most likely not JJor QQ), then so be it, you have outs.

Onaflag
03-22-2005, 12:25 AM
Thanks. After reviewing recent MLG advice, I think I did the right thing.

RESULT: Hero pushes. 1 Fold. 1 Call. Villain has two /images/graemlins/spade.gif to a str8 flush. He announces he has to call because he has a str8 flush draw. Personally, I think he's an idiot, but that's just me. Turn is a blank. River is a /images/graemlins/spade.gif and I am severely crippled.

Two hands later I push with 55, get called by a JQ ironically and he wins the coin flip. Bye bye. Busted out in 23 minutes flat.

Another theory I had been told would have been to call, wait for a blank turn, then push so villains would have worse odds to make the call.

Onaflag.............

Roman
03-22-2005, 01:15 AM
he had pot odds, not a dumb call at all.

Roman
03-22-2005, 01:15 AM
Pushhhhh

BPA234
03-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Since you are willing to push here, why not give yourself every chance to push the draw out? I call the flop and then push the brick on the turn. I think that this move is more effective than pushing the flop against any player willing to chase the draw. Unfortunately, since you were up against the strt-flsh draw you were probably toast anyway.

mts
03-22-2005, 01:21 PM
you are letting him draw to a cheap card. I push allin on the flop. What are you going to do if a spade comes? check/fold? What about a face card other than a J or Q? check/fold?

zaxx19
03-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Im sorry to ask perhaps I misread but was he openended(k10s) or was it an inside straight flush draw like(89s)??

If its openended I think its a hard lay for him...especially given the structure.

Onaflag
03-22-2005, 02:50 PM
He had A/images/graemlins/spade.gifT/images/graemlins/spade.gif and needed the K/images/graemlins/spade.gif for the royal so it was an inside draw for the monster and a regular everyday flush draw. Add three non-/images/graemlins/spade.gif Kings to his 9 flush outs for 12 outs.

His call is getting slighty the worse of it at roughly 1.2 to 1. I suppose it wasn't a horribly horrible call, but not one worth risking your tournament life over as I had him covered. I think in the same situation, I'd do the same thing again.

I appreciate the advice on this. It's these little things that I need to know whether I'm doing correctly or not.

Onaflag.............

MarkD
03-22-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
His call is getting slighty the worse of it at roughly 1.2 to 1

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's not.

When it comes back to villian he is getting about 1300:800 or 1.625:1.

twodimes.net says that he is about a 54.9:45.1 dog or 1.22:1.

So he is getting about 1.63:1 on a 1.22:1 hand. Explain to me how this is horrible? I know you want to believe that villian made a mistake here but it simply he appears that you both played your hands well and you got beat. If I was villian and I was playing well I would do the same as him given the above overlay.

Onaflag
03-22-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So he is getting about 1.63:1 on a 1.22:1 hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're absolutely correct and I am an idiot for only considering his drawing odds and not his pot odds. This has turned my story into a crying post and I apologize. Thanks.

Onaflag.............