PDA

View Full Version : Playing other forms of poker

stillbr
03-21-2005, 10:40 PM
A few things I wonder about...

What is the most profitable from of poker as far as WR goes? For example a very good limit holdem player may make 2BB/100 multi-tabling. How much might a very good omaha 8ob player expect to make? What about triple draw?

For those of you who's main game is somthing other than holdem, what game do you play? and why?

Did you start out with Holdem? Why did you switch?

I am mostly interested in hearing from pro/semi-pro type players.

Alobar
03-21-2005, 11:33 PM
I cant really comment as my other forms of poker experience is limited.

But I think hold em is prolly the most profitable. You get drawn out on less than you do in stud, and stud isnt really something you can multitable and do well.

There just arent enough razz games to make it profitable, and generally the people who are playing razz know tons more about poker than your average holdem fish

billyjex
03-22-2005, 02:16 AM
I think you can make good money if you are a good Omaha 0/8 or high player. PT Omaha just came out so I'm sure those players are beginning to really see how much they win.. you should check out their forum.

Omaha is the only other poker game you can really multitable as well.

istewart
03-22-2005, 02:22 AM
Yassir Arafat would probably say PLO.

Ianco15
03-22-2005, 02:23 AM
Some people I've talked to say that pl omaha is the most profitable poker game, far more profitable than any form of hold 'em. I've never actually played it though.

B Mando
03-22-2005, 02:46 AM
I often play two tables of stud hi/lo and the people at the low limits(1-2,2-4) are just brutal. I havent played enough, or tracked my stats to produce a win rate for you but I definitly think since it is a high low game it is very profitable. I would put it in the same zone as omaha8. There really arent that many beats like there are in holdem because you can usually get at least half the pot and there are a lot of times when you have people drawing almost dead for the entire pot in stud hi/lo. It seems to be growing in popularity also. There is usually always at least one game going at each limit on PS. If I wasnt such a drunk tilt monkey I doubt I would have very many losing sessions. A solid player could easily do better than 2BB/100 playing two tables of 1-2 or 2-4. I have watched and played with some of the higher limit players and I dont feel that they are even that good. It isnt as easy to learn as one would think though...I was only beating the games at first because of 'random fluctuations of dumb luck' to put it in the words of Bill Fillmaff. There are a lot of marginal situations that your can put yourself in and being drawing nearly dead for the entire pot. If you would want to learn how to play the 5.50 sit-n-gos are a very good way to improve your game and the competition is just terrible.

edtost
03-22-2005, 10:42 AM
to find the 'most profitable' game, look at the ones that are the hardest to get spread, usually in big bet form - nl 5cs, nl 7cs are brutal for fish.