PDA

View Full Version : critiquing my short-handed play

lighterjobs
03-21-2005, 09:44 PM
short handed newbie. reviewing some of my hands. any help appreciated.

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 4.50 BB

is calling on the flop too loose? i was folding on the turn if i didn't get a piece of it. i would never call this if a MP raised in a ring game, but not sure in short handed.

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP folds, SB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

this seems obvious, but should i have re-raised it with two draws? the pot wasn't too big so i didn't see the point in putting more money in an unraised pot.

River: (7 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

too tight of a fold since i'm on the button?

another question.. how much should I loosen up when playing 5 and 6 handed? I consider myself a pretty good ring game player because of my hand selection, but I'm not sure what I should play shorthanded. I find myself playing position a lot more in 6max, but still playing premium hands. also, should I always raise with any pair UTG or UTG +1? even 22? The SH forum has helped me out a lot so far, but am still looking for some help. are there any good books worth buying that would considerably help heads up and shorthanded play? any good articles?

these three hands pretty much sum up a few of my questions: playing two big cards and missing the flop, big draws, and Kx, Ax suited hands with position.

thanks in advance.

tolbiny
03-21-2005, 09:46 PM
If you are going to play AQ in the sb- you should be three betting his raise, take control of the hand.

PassiveCaller
03-21-2005, 09:59 PM
Hand 1: 3-bet pre-flop.
Hand 2: fine.
Hand 3: Easy Fold.

lighterjobs
03-21-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to play AQ in the sb- you should be three betting his raise, take control of the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never thought of that. I knew I played the hand badly, but didn't know exactly what I did. makes perfect sense. thanks.

sethypooh21
03-21-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lighterjobs
03-21-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I had read something about getting equity out of calling with Axs and Kxs in multiway pots in shorthanded games. what if I had Axs instead of Kxs in that spot?

PassiveCaller
03-21-2005, 10:31 PM
You would be playing either of these hands for it's draw capabilities and this pot doesn't rank to be a very big pot that often. You could easily be getting a pretty poor overlay on the pre-flop call by being dominated... Even AXs should be a fold here... You want more of a crowd here and a crowd of poor players that will pay off is even more peachy.

tolbiny
03-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Shorthanded play is about being in control of the situation. If the cutoff openraises you are either three betting or folding form the button. If you start three betting with Kxs you are going to have some problems.

I would probably start three betting A8s here- but i doubt i would go an lower.

sethypooh21
03-21-2005, 10:34 PM
Need a read on the villain. I think it's a raise or fold situation. Many players raise an enormous range of hands folded too in the CO. Vs. loose/overaggro, 3-bet, vs. tight/passiveish, fold. (now if the raise is UTG and there is one caller between, calling is fine).