PDA

View Full Version : You think Sklansky ever goes on tilt?

MikeR
03-21-2005, 08:53 PM
You think Sklansky ever gets mad someone hits a 2 outer or something, and kicks his dog or something? I've got to think a guy like that has seen everything by now and is not phased by anything on the card table. ANyone heard any stories or seen Sklansky go on tilt before?

istewart
03-21-2005, 09:32 PM
Yes.

A_C_Slater
03-21-2005, 09:36 PM
I don't think he goes on tilt. I was always more curious if Sklansky or Malmuth ever get depressed or concerned about huge downsings. Do they tell each other about them, like most us do? Or do they just keep it to themselves?

Sklansky: I'm a on a 310 BB downswing, it's sick and wrong. How can this happen to me?

Malmuth: (smiling inside) Geez, that's some rough variance there.....

A_C_Slater
03-21-2005, 09:41 PM
Do you mean tilt only in the way of getting emotionally frustrated? Or do you mean titling in way of playing sub par as opposed to his normal game?

If you mean the first version, then yes. Second version, no.

Dov
03-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Only when people mangle his arguments in the 'God' threads. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

STLantny
03-22-2005, 12:08 AM
On a little different note, I find that my tilt comes from the fact, that when Im losing, im pissed that I dont know if Im playing winning poker, rather than just taking abd beats. So if you have the confidence as Sklansky and Malmuth both do, i would assume, do you still tilt?

mindflayer
03-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Emotionally frustrated?? hahahah i think all you have to do is miscalculate your pot odds or EV by over 2%, and then sound correct when you post your calculation.
I think giving misinformation is the quickest way to EF Skalnsky.
Put him off his game?? I don't think so, I think it is hard to put a robot off his game. lmao I just re-read that line and I can't stop laughing. Playing like a robot is my life long goal!

Mindflayer

popniklas
03-28-2005, 05:21 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
On a little different note, I find that my tilt comes from the fact, that when Im losing, im pissed that I dont know if Im playing winning poker, rather than just taking abd beats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I have never heard anyone say that before, but it's the same for me.

Mike
03-28-2005, 05:55 PM
I think the more educated about a subject you are the less surprises there are. In poker I have doubt that there is anything he has not seen or doesn't understand. So it is possible, but less likely him tilting than you or I sliding off into the depths of tilt.

Going forward with that thought, a good grounding in one area can also help with other areas. I doubt a person that steams at the table does not steam elsewhere.

whiskeytown
03-28-2005, 07:21 PM
not from losing.

but when idiots keep asking him the odds of winning the hand - I've seen him kill people with playing cards over that...surprised no one got shanked during the WPT writer's night. - LOL

RB

KaiShin
03-28-2005, 09:45 PM
Cool. Does he decapitate people with them a la Random Task?

Random Sklansky. I like it.

bilyin
03-28-2005, 10:29 PM
When Sklansky loses, all he has to do is think, "I suck at poker and see how well my books are selling...hehehe." He would be off tilt immediately.

PokerProdigy
03-29-2005, 12:55 AM
I bet he does NOT let the bad beats throw him off his game but do you think it frustrates him? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Because it seems like it has to be frustrating.

Zetack
03-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Every poker player in the world experiences some level of tilt occaisionally. Every one. Just because Sklansky is one of the great poker minds with perhaps a better understanding of the game that anybody else around, it doesn't make him non-human. Of course he tilts.

Probably around the thirtieth time that hour he's been asked what the odds are on a given hand...

--Zetack

d1sterbd
04-06-2005, 12:25 PM
I saw him go on tilt when he only got aces 3 times in a session. Luckily Mike Mattusow was their to calm him down.

-d1sterbd

Wally Weeks
04-06-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Every poker player in the world experiences some level of tilt occaisionally. Every one. Just because Sklansky is one of the great poker minds with perhaps a better understanding of the game that anybody else around, it doesn't make him non-human. Of course he tilts.

[/ QUOTE ]

A good discussion of tilting is in the book Inside the Poker Mind by John Feeney. I think a good point is that (almost) everyone goes on tilt whether they know it or not. It can be an overestimation of skill due to great short term luck or a devaluation due to poor luck. The idea that tilt is a spectrum rather than on and off is a useful concept to monitor your own, um, "tiltness".

I'm pretty inexperienced at the game so I suffer getting kind of grumpy when losing. But since I'm aware of it, I can control it better or simply take a break/quit for the day.

[ QUOTE ]
Probably around the thirtieth time that hour he's been asked what the odds are on a given hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's got to be really annoying after awhile. Maybe he should wear a costume while playing poker so no one recognizes him. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,
Wally

AEKDBet
04-06-2005, 08:46 PM
No one is perfect emotionally.