PDA

View Full Version : fold flush draw?

gsusguy
03-21-2005, 07:57 PM
If you have Axs and you flop two cards of your suit, should you fold that if the board doesn't pair up on the flop and someone bets huge on the flop. Should you fold, based on expected odds and all that?

lastchance
03-21-2005, 07:58 PM
I can't answer this question, because I don't play Axs (not out of the blinds). This might be your problem.

But the answer probably has something to do with implied odds.

gsusguy
03-21-2005, 08:01 PM
so are you saying you wouldn't play A-3 of hearts out of the blinds? Why is that? It is the nut flush if hearts hit, and will pay big.

lastchance
03-21-2005, 08:12 PM
Because I play in a structure where the blinds are high, and so implied odds are not there often. Also, I don't like having only 2 streets to pump money out, as compared to hitting a very nice disquised set.

So, no, I don't play A3s out of the blinds, generally, at least.

I do like ATs+, partly because flush draw + 2 overs >>> flush draw + 1 over, and also you can hit TPTK, which is always nice.

microbet
03-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Definately not.

There are three things to do with a nut flush draw.

1. Call a small bet (or check).
2. Make a semi-bluff.
3. Fold to a big bet. (definately to a huge bet)

Which you choose depends on what the blinds are, what position you are in, what your stacks are, and your read on the villian.

I'm assuming you don't have an open ended straight draw to go along or even 2 over cards. With 2 overs or OESD you are a likely favorite. Also, very late in the game HU with big blinds and one of you having a shortish stack you should call a big bet even if you are a dog, but you should probably have pushed preflop in that case.