PDA

View Full Version : Help with variations (x-post from MH)

NLSoldier
03-21-2005, 07:36 PM
I was playing in a great 20/40 on Fri. when some discussion came up about about this home game that a few of the players in the game frequent. Basically they said it was just rediculously crazy and a dealer who had played in it confirmed this. He said he doesn't play in it anymore because "the players have no respect for money, never fold, etc" (What an idiot!) So after BSing with them for a while I managed to get an invite to their game.

Here's the catch: It's 20/40 limit with a madatory straddle. And the game rotates between Holdem, Reverse flop (Where the board cards are dealt 1-1-3 instead of 3-1-1), Double flop (two flops are dealt, followed by a turn and river, you can only use one flop or the other, no combining), 5-Card Omaha High only, and a few other variations I can't recall. They also said at the end of the night they all throw in a thousand and play some sort of tourney style freezeout.

So basically this game sounds like a total gold mine, but I'm not exactly sure how to adjust for the weird variations.

I guess I'm mostly looking for basic suggestions as far as what hands gain value and what hands lose value in double flop and reverse flop hold em.

Obviosly in double flop it seems like pocket pairs gain a lot of value. Probably other big implied odds hands like suited connectors as well? Since you have two chances to flop a flush draw or open ender.

For reverse flop I really don't have a clue. I am certain that no one else in the game will be folding before all the cards are out, which leads me to believe it will take an even bigger hand to win than in normal holdem, because absolutley everyone will be seeing all 5 cards so if there is any kind of draw or whatever possible, they are going to be around to hit it.

Any comments/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

mscags
03-21-2005, 08:54 PM
I would agree with your basic strategy so far. My question is are these games going to be limit or NL or some combo. If the its NL pocket pairs would go up huge in value for the reverse flop, I also think that suited connectors wouldnt be too helpful because you wouldnt be able to pick up a draw until it was completed most of the time. I would probably just play a lot tighter than everyone and wait for a monster since it sounds like you are probably going to get paid off pretty well and dont let their inabilty to fold rub off on you. Good luck and let us know how it goes!