PDA

View Full Version : $1/2 6 (max) Adjustments

FourNickel
03-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Hi,

What adjustments need to be made when moving from .5/1 at party poker to 1/2 six max tables? A little history, I worked my orignal $200 into $700 playing .5/1, then moved to the 1/2 where I proceded to lose $300. So now im back at .5/1 trying to move get my game better with poker tracker and studying wllh. I figured this would be the place to get good advise.

shadow29
03-21-2005, 06:44 PM
Ditch WLLH. Study SSHE instead.

Do some searches for 6-max strategies, it's been discussed a lot.

Don't have any links handy, otherwise I would help you out.

SomethingClever
03-21-2005, 06:48 PM
You want to loosen up considerably... your VPIP should be in the 20-25 range.

Raise a lot more preflop. 12-16%

Value bet. Value bet. Value bet.

Read the HUSH forums.

Finally, I'd consider waiting until you have more than 300 BB for the game. Unless you're just taking a shot.

kenberman
03-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Welcome to the forums.

Try reading the "Heads Up and Shorthanded Forum".

A bunch of great posts are in this thread. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=headsup&Number=891774& fpart=&PHPSESSID=)

A couple quick things:

1) 6 max is swingier than full ring, and I therefore think you need a bigger bankroll for it. Say 400-500 BB, or about $1000 to be safe for 1/2 6 max. As you will learn, though, having a bankroll for a game does not mean you have the skill to beat that game. This is especially true if your winnings have come from .50/1 Party games.

As far as your results go, I've lost 150 BB's at 6 max multiple times, over very short time periods. It happens, and very frequently.

2) To beat Party 1/2 6 max - which is a great game - you'll need to get your gamble on much more than at .50/1. Steal blinds, bluff, defend, value bet middle pair, etc. Aggression is key in this game.

3) Although I only skimmed WLLH, I don't think that it's a great book to read for 6 max. You need to be much more aggresive in 6 max than that book teaches. Try Small Stakes Hold Em by Ed Miller. It's much better for 6 mac, even though it's written for full ring games.