PDA

View Full Version : Question about Street Lights

RocketManJames
03-21-2005, 05:57 PM
So, I can't speak for other states, but everywhere I've lived in California, I have noticed this phenomenon. I wanted to know why it exists, and maybe how it is all set up... what triggers, etc.

Have you ever noticed a string of street lights going down a long street, and every so often one of them turns off? It didn't burn out, because later on it'll be back on again. Or sometimes, you see one that is off that suddenly turns on again? Is this some sort of overheating/cool-off thing? I think I only see exactly one light go out at once in any string of lights.

Anyone know the truth?

-RMJ

jakethebake
03-21-2005, 06:01 PM
No idea but it's tiome we bring back the streetlight/lamp post/etc. debate. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

wacki
03-21-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No idea but it's tiome we bring back the streetlight/lamp post/etc. debate. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you go.......... (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=1394107&Fo rum=All_Forums&Words=lightpole&Searchpage=0&Limit= 25&Main=1394107&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=706 6&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&old ertype=&bodyprev=#Post1394107)

wacki
03-21-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
some sort of overheating/cool-off thing

[/ QUOTE ]

Brainwalter
03-21-2005, 09:22 PM
I don't know how it works everywhere, but in some places each light is on an individual sensor that turns the streetlight on when it's dark enough outside. Maybe this thing you've noticed is a result of funky sensors and/or some small amount of light getting cast on the sensor? I would think this would be much more frequent in twilight hours than in full darkness. Does this fit with your experiences of this phenomenon?

Note: Didn't read that link so maybe this is all covered or shown to be wrong therein.

hunterking
03-22-2005, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
some sort of overheating/cool-off thing

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes it is...

ThaSaltCracka
03-22-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you go.......... (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=1394107&Fo rum=All_Forums&Words=lightpole&Searchpage=0&Limit= 25&Main=1394107&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=706 6&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&old ertype=&bodyprev=#Post1394107)

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I forgot about this, did you get your car fixed Wacki?

Bluffoon
03-22-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So, I can't speak for other states, but everywhere I've lived in California, I have noticed this phenomenon. I wanted to know why it exists, and maybe how it is all set up... what triggers, etc.

Have you ever noticed a string of street lights going down a long street, and every so often one of them turns off? It didn't burn out, because later on it'll be back on again. Or sometimes, you see one that is off that suddenly turns on again? Is this some sort of overheating/cool-off thing? I think I only see exactly one light go out at once in any string of lights.

Anyone know the truth?

-RMJ

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell was the name of that movie with steve martin with the possessed highway sign?

Do they talk to you?

wacki
03-22-2005, 12:43 AM
They are paying for it, I just haven't got around to getting it fixed. It is supposed to cost $5,000 and take three weeks to fix. Needless to say, I'm going to need a rental car.

ThaSaltCracka
03-22-2005, 12:49 AM
[censored], well, at least they are paying for it.

Sephus
03-22-2005, 01:01 AM
LA story.

rusellmj
03-22-2005, 01:11 AM
I heard a woman on the radio awhile back claim she had supernatural powers because she noticed lights go out when she drove by. What happens is that when the high pressure sodium lamp, or the transformer in these things start to go bad, they cycle on and off. Happens in my parking lot every year. I usually wait til three of 'em are bad before I call the lift truck.

Russ

Freakin
03-22-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I heard a woman on the radio awhile back claim she had supernatural powers because she noticed lights go out when she drove by. What happens is that when the high pressure sodium lamp, or the transformer in these things start to go bad, they cycle on and off. Happens in my parking lot every year. I usually wait til three of 'em are bad before I call the lift truck.

Russ

[/ QUOTE ]

Cecil of TheStraightDope covered this same topic, it's an entertaining read.

Freakin