PDA

View Full Version : Is Party still the softest?

betgo
03-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Everyone used to say that Party had the softest SNGs. I find them the hardest of the sites I've played at ($10-$50) level.

DasLeben
03-21-2005, 06:46 PM
I'd say that the play is softer at Party than the other sites I've played, but the retarted Party blind structure makes things a crapshoot.

EasilyFound
03-21-2005, 07:13 PM
I'm a regular Party patron. Which sites are better for SNGs? WHich have better blind structure.

Voltron87
03-21-2005, 07:16 PM
IMO blind structure is not nearly as important as the quality of the players.

nummy
03-21-2005, 07:20 PM
I always tell people when I want to have to think and play poker, I play at PokerStars, when I want to make money, I play at Party....the blinds at Party are terrible, but the players more than make up for the blind structure.

ilya
03-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Thank you for helping to keep this thread sensible.

Voltron87
03-21-2005, 08:13 PM
But I don't know Ilya, it's just not real poker!

-kidding

wegs the wegs
03-21-2005, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Bet recently increased the time for the blind intervals and made it 1500 starting chips instead of 1000. I have found that it had become a MUCH easier game to beat. Be prepared for long tournaments, but better players should be able to win these far more often than on PP IMO.

betgo
03-21-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say anything about the blind structure. I just have trouble making a lot in Party SNGs.

ilya
03-21-2005, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say anything about the blind structure. I just have trouble making a lot in Party SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I know, I was responding to some of the replies - not your OP.

nummy
03-22-2005, 12:45 AM
Just a question, don't take it any other way. How can you talk about which site is the softest without a discussion of the blind structure?

I think I made it evident in my post that even due to the fact that Party's blind structure is "crazy", I find it the easiest to make money at. It does tend to make the end game more of a crapshoot, but at least from my limited experience, my ROI and ITM percentage are way higher at Party than at Stars. IMHO, Stars has gotten very tight even at the 10+1 level over the past few months, which makes for a much more exciting game to say the least (at least to me). Its more of a challenge.

I was just trying to point out that even with the apparent disadvantage of the blind structure and starting chip stacks at Party, that IMO its still a softer game at Party than at Stars or UB. This is simply a contradition that I was trying, and I guess failing, to point out.

Again, if I was preparing myself for a live environment, I would play Stars any day of the week, but if I'm wanting to make some money, I'll take Party any day of the week.

ilya
03-22-2005, 01:07 AM
I think it's pretty easy to talk about which site is softest without mentioning blind structure. Simply discuss which site has the weakest players, or alternately the highest hourly rate.

I'm not sure what you mean by "crapshoot," but there is a great deal of skill involved in Party preflop bubble play. The blind structure is not a "disadvantage" but just a parameter that demands adjustment.

nummy
03-22-2005, 04:09 AM
I wasn't refering to bubble play, what I'm referring to is the heads up play. Normally, blinds will be a 4th of the stack sizes by the time heads up is reached. That's all I'm referring to of the Party structure.

All I'm trying to say is this. If all things were even. All 60,000 Party players all the sudden moved over to Stars, the Stars structure would easily give any thinking player a much greater chance of having a much better ROI than the Party structure.

But yes, given things as they are, of course Party is going to be softer. With 60,000 plus on one site compared to not even 20,000 logged in at the other sites....well the numbers speak for themselves.

Slim Pickens
03-22-2005, 04:22 AM
The blind stricture is almost inconsequential when at least one third of the time your heads-up opponent is incapable of beating a monkey trained to push every hand. Give that monkey a 2:1 chip deficit and he'll win half the time. Now THAT is Party Poker. The Party blind structure actually gives me a bigger advantage (JMO, BTW) because by the time my opponent has figured out it might be necessary to defend his blinds, I have most of his stack.

Slim (whose play is much more "retarded" than the Party blind structure, yet he still manages to make money playing there)