PDA

View Full Version : Biggest advantage for the serious SNG player

John Hurst
03-21-2005, 03:19 PM
So I was thinking about what makes SNGs consistently beatable for the serious player and besides solid early play I think it is never giving up +EV situations on the bubble. Many recreational players are taking shots at SNGs and investing a large chunk on their bankroll on 1 game. These players are thus desperately hanging on for 3rd because it will be a big boost for their bankroll. This thought makes me more confident in playing and winning in these long-term. I play hundreds of SNGs and thus busting on the bubble is acceptable as long as I was taking a calculated risk in order to win. But more importantly I try to quickly identify these players.

What I look look for:

- Players who fold their BB or fold to a reraise when the pot odds dictate a call with a wide range of hands
- Players limping in late stages of the tourney
- Players chatting that they are folding a premium hand

Do I occasionally get trapped by a monster when trying to attack these opponents? Absolutely but I think over the longterm the aggressive moves payoff.

As I reread this post it seems kind of obvious, but maybe it will spark a discussion.

Scuba Chuck
03-21-2005, 03:43 PM
I concur, and have always interpreted the same reflection from a psychological point of view. These players are fearful of not getting ITM, when it's down to 4 players. Before it's 4 players, this fear seems to be non-existant, as there is another emtion (greed) that rules the day.