PDA

View Full Version : dvd review: High Roller - The Stu Ungar Story

pastabatman
03-21-2005, 02:53 PM
Rating: 2 out of 5 stars (not worthless, but wish I hadn't bothered)

This movie was just released on DVD. I should first say that I knew very little about Stu Ungar before watching it, other than the fact that he won 3 WSOPs, had a serious gambling addiction, and died a lonely death. Needless to say, I wasn't expecting a 'feel-good' movie. What I did expect was some insight into his supposed genius and a glimpse of the high-stakes poker world. I got neither.

As told by the movie (and please chime in if this is wrong), Stu's life was miserable, beginning to end. He isn't shown as a particularly interesting person, aside from being a gin rummy prodigy at a very early age. We are -told- he won three WSOPs, but we are shown practically nothing of those events. You take away that, and all that is left is a depiction of a socially disfunctional man whose life is consumed by all forms of gambling. If that's all there is, I have to ask, is this a story worth telling?

The production itself is very sub-standard - lifeless dialogue, artless story telling, cheap sets, bad lighting, you name it. Mike Imperioli (Christopher of 'The Sopranos') plays Stu. He does a decent job, considering what he's got to work with. He seems to be very mis-used though, and fails to carry the movie.

The low-point of the movie (almost laughable) is Stu living the supposed 'high life', hanging out with his poker buddies in Vegas. One of the buddies is played by none other than (drum roll please) Vince Van Patten, co-host of WPT. Just the fact that this clown was chosen for this role tells you a lot about this movie. I was impressed by the amount of ham he was able to inject into his few lines.

Stu Ungar seems to be held in high regard, often regarded as a very gifted and tragic figure. I hope I haven't offended any fans or friends here. This is a review of the movie, not him. I would not be surprised if there is an interesting way to tell his story. I guess I'll have to read a biography, but, after seeing this movie, I'm much less inclined to do so.

Pasta

PapiChulo503
03-21-2005, 09:56 PM
I just saw the movie and completely agree. I think my expectations were too high because of what I had heard about STU. The dude is supposedly a legend and this is the best story they could tell about him?

SoDakJak
03-22-2005, 07:24 PM
I concur, wasn't worth the money I paid to rent it....EXTREMELY glad I didn't buy it!

BUD
03-23-2005, 11:22 AM
The stories I have read, and an excerpt from the book are better than the movie. I have a hard time with the fact that the movie about Stu Ungar was quite boring.
bud

TGoldman
03-23-2005, 01:57 PM
What is this Stu Ungar book that you're referring to?

TomBrooks
03-23-2005, 04:03 PM
I considered ordering it from my DVD club the other day and came here to look for comments. It got widely panned on these forums. Your review adds to the general consensus.

= TomBk

BusterFlush
03-23-2005, 05:38 PM
I guess I will ad a dissenting opinion on this movie. I enjoyed it and thought it was good for what it was, a low budget bio-pic.
The acting was ok although I felt at times the lead was playing the same charactor as on the Soprano's.
I think the theme of this movie was to display the genius and tragedy of Stu Unger.
Mission Accomplished.

pastabatman
03-23-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the theme of this movie was to display the genius and tragedy of Stu Unger.
Mission Accomplished.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly how was his genius displayed? I must have missed that part. You'd think in a movie about Stu Ungar they'd show at least one hand of poker.