PDA

View Full Version : hand from 300 rebuy at the bike

kirisim
03-21-2005, 12:38 PM
$300 rebuy NLHE at the Bike last week. I am in for $1200. I am completely card dead for the first 3 hours. Blinds are 100/200/ 25 ante, I have 2600.

I get moved to a new table. Most of the stacks are much deeper than mine. First hand, I am the BB with 67o. There are several limpers. The flop is K72. Everyone checks. The turn is a 6 making me two pair. I check. A slick dude with an iPod and sunglasses bets 600. Everyone folds. I check-raise all-in. He thinks for 2 minutes. He keeps looking at me from behind his mountain of about 10,000 chips. Finally he shows 88 and folds. He is obviously pissed.

I now have 3300 chips. Several hands later, I am in middle position with 5s6s. I intend to raise it up to 750 and take down the blinds, but I count out the chips wrong, and wind up raising to 650. The slick dude calls behind me. Heads up. The flop is Js2s5, giving me middle pair plus flush draw. The pot is about 1700 and I have 2600 remaining. The guy behind me has a huge stack and is annoyed at me. What are my options at this point?

youngin20
03-21-2005, 12:54 PM
push. semibluffs rock. hopefully he will call with AA, you will make one of your draws,(dont forget that two pair draw) and he will get really steamed, because you are a big meany who isnt playing fair. then he will hand you his chips with a really dumb play.

schwza
03-21-2005, 01:07 PM
that's tough... here are your choices (best to worst, IMO)

1) bet 1k, push any turn
2) push
3) c/r all-in

1) i like this play b/c it gives you a pretty good chance to take it down. you also leave the villain with apparent bluff equity if he decides to push with something like KQ. the pot would be 3.7k and your turn push would be 1.6k, which might be enough to make him fold a marginal hand like 99, but you have enough outs that you're not going to be too upset if he calls.

2) push - also ok, but i think you're leaving some money on the table.

3) c/r all-in - if he is an aggro player and you're confident he'll bet, i think this is the best play. i'm worried that he'd check behind though, and if the turn is a brick, you'll have left yourself in an ugly situation.

locutus2002
03-21-2005, 01:16 PM
I push here.

You are either way ahead (if he has ak no spade), or about even if he has an overpair. You don't really want to see the turn, and if you bet 1K you will have to call all ur chips if he raises here or on the turn, so get them in now.

schwza
03-21-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I push here.

You are either way ahead (if he has ak no spade), or about even if he has an overpair. You don't really want to see the turn, and if you bet 1K you will have to call all ur chips if he raises here or on the turn, so get them in now.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're right, i'm certainly not going to fold regardless of what the turn is. what i like about the 1k bet is that it might induce a bluff raise. it might also get a call and then a fold to the turn push, although that might not be too likely. 1k also is the line that i would take with an overpair, while pushing looks like a pretty clear flush draw. i wouldn't be surprised if a villain would be more likely to call a push with a hand like 77 than he would a normal bet.

locutus2002
03-21-2005, 02:05 PM
I think Villian will at least call with 77 or better here against a 1K bet.
Betting 1K also allows villian to call with two overcards because of implied odds (particularly if he's irritated). This may be your goal, but i'd prefer to see villian fold right here.
Villian has also shown the ability to fold the worst hand against an all in bet.

sdplayerb
03-21-2005, 02:38 PM
you pushin plain and simple.
you really don't care if he calls or folds.

kirisim
03-21-2005, 03:41 PM
thank you for the responses.

i pushed, he insta-called with KJ. i didn't hit and I went home. I ran the simulation and it turns out I was a 51% favorite (essentially a coin flip.)

the only other play i can see is attempting to check-raise all-in, but he may be pot committed if I check and he bets.

Here is the other question: Is it too risky to get involved with a 5s6s at this point?