PDA

View Full Version : Learning the piano

partygirluk
03-21-2005, 10:04 AM
I want to learn the piano. I already play the saxophone, so I can read a score. My musical ability is firmly average.

Money is a bit short, so my plan is thus: buy a cheap keyboard and some beginner's book (or download something) and try and teach myself. If I like, I can take it from there.

Has anyone had success with something similar?

daveymck
03-21-2005, 10:16 AM
I tried this with the guitar, a year and a half later I can still only play power cords and Paranoid is the only song I can play all the way through.

icetonez
03-21-2005, 10:24 AM
partygirl - I recently decided I wanted to do the same thing. I went out and bought a Yamaha keyboard for ~$250 and it gets the job done for learning. I also take a class at the local community college. The book we use is working for me and I had never played any instrument before. It's called Play Piano Now! by Palmer and will only cost you $30. Also I would suggest this web site as the best place for free lessons on the web http://www.learnpianoonline.com/login.html The first 6 lessons are free and the rest is like $60, but the lady who does it has written very good lessons. Good luck!

turnipmonster
03-21-2005, 10:35 AM
the best way to learn really depends on what your goals are. you can probably get lessons from a college music major for really cheap if there is a university near you.

--turnipmonster

DcifrThs
03-21-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I want to learn the piano. I already play the saxophone, so I can read a score. My musical ability is firmly average.

Money is a bit short, so my plan is thus: buy a cheap keyboard and some beginner's book (or download something) and try and teach myself. If I like, I can take it from there.

Has anyone had success with something similar?

[/ QUOTE ]

first thing is getting your fingers in shape.

sax is different than piano. go to a music library and watch the following video. it was made for beginning students by my current teacher

"Technique: is there only one way" by Sona Haydon

it will get your piano fingers in proper strength...but the keyboard will do nothing to keep them that way...yo need a real piano with weighted keys to practice on...

i wish you the best of luck

-Barron

mostsmooth
03-21-2005, 11:15 AM
i would say being able to play the sax and read sheet music is above average in the musical ability department
(once upon i could play the sax as well /images/graemlins/cool.gif)

theBruiser500
03-21-2005, 11:53 AM
i've been trying to teach myself the piano off an on for the last 10 years. i suck at music and can't tell the difference etween keyboard and piano so keyboard works fine for me. my grandmother helps me periodically she used to play a lot nad is still okay. in general i think all you need to start learning the piano is practice that's what a few people have told me, and from my own experience i would say dedication too, that is why i don't play piano now (i just know one song the entertainer), cause i have no discipline or dedication with it. goodluck.

piano btw is beautiful

nothumb
03-21-2005, 11:57 AM
I always meant to learn piano too, I majored in music but can't play piano a lick. Kind of a shame since for composing it's an essential instrument. If you end up doing any of this stuff a report would be cool.

NT