PDA

View Full Version : A couple of books recommendations

partygirluk
03-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Strange Places, Questionable People by John Simpson

Simpson is a political/foreign affairs correspondent. He is truly extraordinary. He has been to over 100 countries and if something is happening in the world, he will be there. He is extremely well read, and knows how to write too. This is the best book I have ever read. I just found it fascinating to read first-hand impartial accounts of Tiannamen Square, Fall of the Berlin Wall, Bush v. Saddam I, Supoerpower v. Bin Laden I, interviewing Gaddafi etc.

True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey

Carey writes this as if it is the autobiography of Ned Kelly. That this educated 21st century man can so convincingly give voice to a 19/20th century uneducated criminal is truly incredible. I have never read a book like this, and I doubt many people have. The book is excellently paced, and the oft-used phrase "page turner" is appropriate here. This book will not be for everyone. The language can be difficult to read, and there is no punctuation, except for full-stops. Nonetheless, if you are looking for something unique, or just a damn good read, I would recommend this.