PDA

View Full Version : Longest Run SNG (new poster)

humanoid
03-21-2005, 06:09 AM
Hi all.
New to Forum even though I have been reading for a while, Live and Work In London Uk and am hooked on this game!(along with everyone in the Uk)!

Have been playing On william hil and Betfair(mostly europeans) for 18 months, But have just recently opened a coral/party account (3 months) Reason for change was that the Cryptologic software used by these companies is total crap.

Party, I am doing better in the Lower stakes $11 and £22 than I ever was on Will hill/Betafir(still trying to work out if it is because Europeans are in general tougher opponents) !

But I can go for a run of about 15 games getting placed in 10 then Hitting a run of about 7/8 games without getting any place...Struggle at moment to keep up a consistent run.
What is the longest Out of money run you have had in SNGs??

ZebraAss
03-21-2005, 06:16 AM
14. Either no one is going to post or this is going to get really...really ugly. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dudd
03-21-2005, 06:32 AM
Funny you should post this, I was thinking about making this same thread and decided I'm come off as whining. Anyways, I just went through a streak of 18 straight 100+9s out of the money. I'd just made my way to back to SNGs after a long hiatus in the cash games, and I had about 35-40 buyins at that level, so I decided to give it a shot. At first, I started off very well, with a statistically insignificant ROI of about 15%. Then, I hit the wall. I don't know which run is closer to reality, but dropping close to 2 grand in just a few tournaments made me realize that maybe I should drop down. So, I cashed out a little over a grand, and now I'm back to the 55s with a bankroll of a little over 60 buyins. Here's to not seeing set over set/AA over KK for a long time.

Edit: Well, I just went through and took a quick look at the carnage, and it's not pretty. I busted once with a set over set, twice with KK versus AA, once with AA versus Q4s when he moved all in on a Q high flop with a flush draw, two or three other times where I went all in versus a flush draw and got outdrawn, numerous lost coin flips, and a few times when a semibluff at a flush draw got called and failed to hit. Probably two thirds of my bust outs were due to bad luck (AA/KK, set over set, outdraws), a few were just desperation pushes when the blinds got huge and I only had 3-4 BB left, and only a couple were legitamately bad plays, such as calling all ins with AQ-AT and seeing a larger ace. I'm being reminded why I gave up sitngos in the first place, the amount of beats you need to endure is rediculous.

FMMonty
03-21-2005, 09:20 AM
once had a run of 17 in a row, started to get painful, then straight of teh back, i won 4 in a row, which is my longest run of pure wins!

roller coaster ride!

sofere
03-21-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I just went through and took a quick look at the carnage, and it's not pretty. I busted once with a set over set, twice with KK versus AA, once with AA versus Q4s when he moved all in on a Q high flop with a flush draw, two or three other times where I went all in versus a flush draw and got outdrawn, numerous lost coin flips, and a few times when a semibluff at a flush draw got called and failed to hit. Probably two thirds of my bust outs were due to bad luck (AA/KK, set over set, outdraws), a few were just desperation pushes when the blinds got huge and I only had 3-4 BB left, and only a couple were legitamately bad plays, such as calling all ins with AQ-AT and seeing a larger ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking about making this same thread and decided I'm come off as whining

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed.

LaggyLou
03-21-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the amount of beats you need to endure is rediculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something I really like about poker in general and SnGs in particular is what they teach you about your psychological reactions to adversity. I suspect that if you go back over SnGs you won you will see many times that you were the one that sucked out. But the natural tendency is to focus on the ones you "deserved" to win but were unjustly taken from you and to mentally pigeonhole our own suckouts to "our share" of variance.

In that regard, it's interesting that when you list your beats I see only three that are true "bad luck" - set over set (1) and KK v. AA (2). The others are apparently coinflips depending on the exact holdings (e.g., with AdAh v Q4c on a Qd Tc 5c flop you are actually an underdog, ditto with top pair against flush draw + overcards hands). that's 3/18 or ~18%. Yet you say that "probably two thirds" of your bust outs were due to bad luck. Really????

Dudd
03-21-2005, 12:17 PM
Well, I was being a bit dramatic. Of the 18 straight, I busted/crippled myself 9 times due to poor play, was unlucky 4 times, which I defined as being in a situation you either can't get away from (AA/KK, set/set) or got all your money in as atleast a 2-1 favorite. The other 5 were just all coinflips. So, yeah, I was being a bit melodramatic, but it's still a pretty terrible run.

BradleyT
03-21-2005, 12:38 PM
22 and that was at $5's and $10's on UB last July during their SnG promotion. It was unbelievable.