PDA

View Full Version : My Super Magoo/Super Genius play of the day

JTG51
10-08-2002, 02:29 AM
I'm on the button in an average 10-20 game. The BB forgot to put up his blind. He thought he was first to act and started to muck. Someone pointed out the fact that he was the BB and he pulled his cards back.

Everyone ends up folding to me. I look down to see the illustrious 7d2s. The BB already tried to muck, and the SB is a reasonable player. Meaning, he's not afraid to fold. So I raised. The SB called and the BB called! Oops, this one isn't off to such a good start.

Flop: Ts 6h 3s

Checked to me and I bet. SB hesitates, thinks, and calls. BB folds.

Turn: [Ts 6h 3s] Js

Hey, I picked up a monster flush draw. SB checks and I bet. He pauses again and says, "I really think I'm ahead..." and shows me his Ad9d before folding. Whew!

I think there is a serious question in there though. If you are almost sure the BB is going to fold, and the SB is a reasonable player, is it OK to raise with any 2 cards when it's folded to you on the button?

Jeffage
10-08-2002, 02:36 AM
I mean, what can you say? You used a logical thought process and made a play. Who can say you're wrong? The thing is....the bb may have been looking to fold UTG, but if he is a blind defender, he might throw in another $10 bc he is half in. This is a unique situation, but I'd still muck...can't fault u for trying to make a thinking play though.

Jeff

sam h
10-08-2002, 02:47 PM
I think Jeffage's point above is really the pertinent issue. How much does someone intending to muck under the gun really tell you about whether they will defend their BB. There are a lot of hands I won't limp with UTG but that I will happily defend with against a likely steal raise from the button, especially if I give the stealer credit for noticing my actions and changing his or play accordingly. Plus good players in the SB may 3 bet here with a variety of holdings. I would with Ad9d.

I would certainly raise with any two if the BB's hand was dead. Otherwise I would raise with half to two thirds of my hands, depending on the opponents.

JTG51
10-08-2002, 03:04 PM
That is a good point that you and Jeff bring up, and one that I hadn't thought very much about.