PDA

View Full Version : AQ off hand

vhuntd
03-21-2005, 05:03 AM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds.

Turn: (9 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

River: (9 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB

What do you guys think about the flop and the turn play? Should i have led out on the turn?

ArturiusX
03-21-2005, 05:11 AM
Id just call the flop, you won't get anyone to fold a pot this big that dominates you. It turns out you did, but you know what im saying /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I like the rest, MP3 probably won't fold to the bet with a pot this big.

college_boy
03-21-2005, 05:17 AM
What's your reason for check raising?

vhuntd
03-21-2005, 05:35 AM
I'm getting 14-1 on my call and i'm 8.5-1 to spike a Q or an A - so i should probably continue with the hand - raising is better than calling because it limits the # of people in the pot - the raise should do a good job of limiting the field because the board isn't very favorable to drawing hands

vhuntd
03-21-2005, 05:37 AM
More to say - if i raise, then i make it incorrect for people with gut shot draws (or other draws) to call - if i just call and allow the gut shot draws the proper odds to call, then i lose money

Elbie
03-21-2005, 05:48 AM
I ´m not sure I like the check raise on the flop although you are giving some valid reasons for it. But you´re out of position so "normally" a free-card play will not be successful. You also run the risk of getting 3-betted by the preflop raiser. Holding A high, possibly being dominated, did you plan to call a 3-bet?

As the hand was played I think that you should have betted the turn. With only MP3 left there is a slight chance that he will fold and I guess that you planned to call a bet from him anyway.

River bet is fine.

vhuntd
03-21-2005, 06:01 AM
I was looking at the preflop raiser's stats on pokertracker while the hand was going on and he is a super rock - I figured that if i checkrasied then he would slow down hard unless he had an overpair to the board - but he would normally bet this flop w/ 99 88 or AK. If he had three bet then i would have called the raise, and checkfolded the turn unimproved

college_boy
03-21-2005, 06:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm getting 14-1 on my call and i'm 8.5-1 to spike a Q or an A - so i should probably continue with the hand - raising is better than calling because it limits the # of people in the pot - the raise should do a good job of limiting the field because the board isn't very favorable to drawing hands

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

ArturiusX
03-21-2005, 08:00 AM
I like your reasoning, but I think the pots too big to try this. I don't think it'd work enough times.

tomcain
03-21-2005, 09:58 AM
It's interesting that nobody said to fold pre-flop to a raise. That's what SSH says to do. I suppose you could justify calling because there were several people in the pot already.

itsmesteve
03-21-2005, 10:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
several people in the pot already.

[/ QUOTE ] if everyone comes along (and they will) then there are six players (including hero) where SSH recommends "loose" play, calling here from the sb down to KJs or KQ/AJo.

Even with a few less limpers, i'd still come in from the small blind. you're OOP, but have good relative position to the preflop raiser, allowing for the c/r that hero pulled on a (somewhat) favorable flop.

davelin
03-21-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like your reasoning, but I think the pots too big to try this. I don't think it'd work enough times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I like it. Notice that Hero now gave someone like A4 or 46 improper odds to continue while they would've had the correct odds to try for their gutshot.

KaiShin
03-21-2005, 11:32 AM
I like it just fine. I agree that raising in this situation is better than calling. With overcards you want to limit the field. If it did get checked through on the flop, it wouldn't be disastrous either.

Say it was checked through, would you have attempted a CR on the turn, check-call, check-fold, or bet-fold?

vhuntd
03-21-2005, 03:51 PM
I think that if it had gotten checked through, then i would have check folded the turn unimproved - If i spike an ace or a queen on the turn - then i probably would have bet because then people after me will be getting 6.5-1 on their call and those aren't good enough odds to draw to two pr or a gutshot.

KaiShin
03-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me.

bottomset
03-21-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I like it. Notice that Hero now gave someone like A4 or 46 improper odds to continue while they would've had the correct odds to try for their gutshot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it, your chances of winning a big multiway pot with just 1pair aren't good, the pot is big take a shot at it

if its HU or 3handed, your chances of winning by spiking a pair get much better