PDA

View Full Version : I didn't like this turn raise

ArturiusX
03-21-2005, 04:22 AM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

I thought my turn draw was strong, and I could possibly get a free showdown (which I did) if I raised.

Correct though?

Elbie
03-21-2005, 04:27 AM
I would just have called after the UTG fold but I would have value-raised if UTG had called the turn bet by BB.

I´m interested in what others think

Siegmund
03-21-2005, 04:39 AM
The free-showdown play worked well.

Only thing is you don't seem to have a hand that benefits from a free showdown. A busted draw isn't going to beat his tens or straight or whatever. If you had say a middle pair and a flush draw I think it'd be a great play.

With your actual hand, the turn raise only makes sense if you think he'll fold to it - and I don't think it's likely that turn bet of his was a pure bluff.

If you had a reason to NOT be willing to just fold the river if you miss and bet/raise if you hit, let us know... I'm not seeing one.

scotty34
03-21-2005, 04:41 AM
I don't know a whole lot about theory, but going for that free showdown does not make sense to me.

Either way, between the turn and river, it will cost you 2BB to see the showdown (provided you aren't 3-bet on the turn). It can be 1 on the turn, one on the river (provided he does not lead out on the river again), or two on the turn.

Now if you call on the turn, and hit your draw, there is a pretty good chance he will lead out again on the river, in which case you raise, and have him in for 2BB on the river. By raising the turn, if you hit your draw, he is going to check to you, and you only get 1BB out of the river.

As I said, I don't know a whole lot about the theory behind all this, and I could be missing something. Looking at it straight on however, calling seems correct to me. The only real advantage of the turn raise that there is a small chance he will fold.