PDA

View Full Version : Poker Superstars Invitational 2 a new low

PuckNPoker
03-21-2005, 03:56 AM
Of all the hands shown tonight only 1 hand had any play after the flop (it was bet and folded after the flop) all the rest were either taken down preflop or all-in preflop.

This is just a horrible show, Fox should be embarassed to even show it.

SoftcoreRevolt
03-21-2005, 04:07 AM
Yeah, it was pretty dull to watch. I had hopes for the show if every episode was two hours like last week (although that was also all preflop) but this was just an unwatchable mess.

whiskeytown
03-21-2005, 10:26 AM
I was watching from a distance - it didn't look too good - I didn't even recognize anyone besides Barry.

RB

Cornboy
03-21-2005, 01:58 PM
The blind structure is rediculous. They're not going to get good poker with blinds that high relative to the stacks. I had high hopes for this series - I think Fox Sports has been pretty good about showing actual poker and not all-in fests with their past shows, but they have definitely taken a step backwards with this tournament.

Dynasty
03-21-2005, 02:12 PM
It got particularly laughable when there were twenty minutes left in the show and Freddy Deeb had his opponent (name?) all-in and drawing slim twice in a row. First Deeb flopped top pair of Aces and turned trips only to get rivered by a flush. Then Deeb's AA split a pot with A7o when the flop came 4,3,2 and a 5 hit on the river.

I was watching the show with my mother and both times I told her what was coming on the river based simply on how much time was left in the show.

JPinAZ
03-21-2005, 02:57 PM
I thought it was laughable when there were 100K+ chip position changes between commercials. (There was one near the end where Deeb one a huge pot & had about a 3-1 lead, then after the commercial he's a 2-3 dog)

TheShootah
03-21-2005, 03:04 PM
I like the one where Esfandiari loses over 600k to David Grey when his A7 gets cracked by 64 or something, and they just mention it like nothing happened after the commercial break. And they don't show it. Makes no sense....

Russ McGinley
03-21-2005, 04:29 PM
My only guess here is that they are trying to get through all these prelim. rounds quickly and then once it gets down to the final table, they will expand the coverage.

But yes, this current format is a joke.

PuckNPoker
03-21-2005, 04:42 PM
There are 22 more of these elimination rounds.. the problem is the format that they want to cram a ridiculous SnG format into 1 hour, not buy editing and showing relevant hands with a good format, but instead by making a format that ensures that there is as few of hands as possible. This format is not skill based, it is push push push with any two cards because the blinds dictate it.

trying2learn
03-21-2005, 05:05 PM
what's more, a s&g can last an hour online and this is live. they have to cut it down to 42 min or so after commercials, so the blinds need to escalate so they can show as much of it as possible. they should have started with tables of 3 or 4...would've been better.

aeakos
03-21-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The blind structure is rediculous. They're not going to get good poker with blinds that high relative to the stacks. I had high hopes for this series - I think Fox Sports has been pretty good about showing actual poker and not all-in fests with their past shows, but they have definitely taken a step backwards with this tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spook
03-21-2005, 09:22 PM
I watched one with Johnny Chan and Kathy Liebert last night, it was a pretty decent show.

I liked how they made the graphics more eye friendly, and they seemed to show most every hand and then did show every hand when it was down to two people. It was also in a two hour format.

Sponger15SB
03-21-2005, 09:31 PM
Who the hell is Tommy Wang?

Seriously, I have no idea.

PuckNPoker
03-21-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who the hell is Tommy Wang?

Seriously, I have no idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me either:
http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=36390

Im guessing because Lederer, Duke, Negreaneu (sp) et al decided to try and get more money from the PSI people they just stuffed the show with as many "other" players as they could find and he was available.

PuckNPoker
03-21-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I watched one with Johnny Chan and Kathy Liebert last night, it was a pretty decent show.

I liked how they made the graphics more eye friendly, and they seemed to show most every hand and then did show every hand when it was down to two people. It was also in a two hour format.

[/ QUOTE ]

A) That was last weeks show, which showed more hands, but it was very quickly an all-in fest.
B) The next 23 shows after that one are 1 hour each, last nights episode had only 1 hand with post flop action. ONE. UNO.

What is the point of getting a talented lineup if you dont allow them to play poker?

betgo
03-21-2005, 10:50 PM
I'm sure it is entertaining for people who like to watch "Celebrity Blackjack."

SpeakEasy
03-22-2005, 02:32 AM
This is the most tremendous waste of poker TV time ever. Great pro lineup, tons of skill, and it plays like a $5 PokerStars SNG. If anyone connected to this show reads these boards, please listen to the players -- you can do so much better than this!

End of show 3, after endless forced all-in bets with crap like 54, J3, etc., Deeb says it all: "Now we can go back to playing poker."

trying2learn
03-22-2005, 04:07 AM
the "names" killed this show...they got together and voted against it, and then two days later wanted back in. the thing is, they couldn't because the network and producers went and found other takers. i think this will get much better after the pre-lim's....but that's just IMHO.

SoftcoreRevolt
03-22-2005, 05:10 AM
You could have the best players in the universe playing and this would still suck. No matter what this tournament is going to be Steal Steal Steal, All in All in All in, Heads up.

Rushmore
03-22-2005, 10:11 AM
It seems incomprehensible to me that anyone who knows anything at all about poker got together and discussed it, and came to the conclusion that this was a good way to go about this.

High school students organizing home games in their parents' basements do a better job.

Think of it like the movie producers who sat around a table saying "Hmmmm, Gigli sounds like a great idea--let's do it!"

MyMindIsGoing
03-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Was it realy worse than Poker royale battle of the sexes?

Hauser_III
03-22-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Was it realy worse than Poker royale battle of the sexes?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Both shows have ridiculous blind structures, so they quickly become all-in fests, but the Battle of the Sexes added the stupid, forced sexist comments of the players and the extremely stupid sexist comments of Kennedy and Tom whatshisname. Battle of the Sexes gets my nod as the worst poker series I've ever seen, with the second worst being the WPT Home Hollywood.

MrMon
03-22-2005, 02:05 PM
Haven't seen it yet, but my money is on E! Hollywood Home Game to be the worst ever. But Battle of the Sexes has the title so far.

I'll probably watch anyway.

MyMindIsGoing
03-22-2005, 04:44 PM
When it comes to good play and structures my favorites are still American poker championship 2004 and Championship poker at the plaza 2004 (not the same as poker challenge at the plaza).

zaxx19
03-22-2005, 04:46 PM
bump poker at the plaza.....

and double bump the Negreanu play on Deeb....thats was a simply amazing play.

jackdaniels
03-22-2005, 05:04 PM
The small raise against Deebs AK? Yes, classic play, could you tell that Lederer was impressed with it as well? I wonder if he was scribbling furiously in his notebook ala: "Notes on Danny N. ..." /images/graemlins/smile.gif

trying2learn
03-22-2005, 05:57 PM
i was also really impressed with dan's read of deeb's A9 hand. he called, which was a mistake, but calling it out was something i'll always remember about that tourney too.

Bobby Digital
03-22-2005, 07:09 PM
The amazing thing is that there are 22 more of these! With all the quarter, semi, and final rounds this thing could possibly go into 2006.

Cory Neely
03-22-2005, 07:12 PM
I would rather see how tournaments really are instead of being fooled into thinking they are nothing but all in fests with a new chip leader in every hand. I think this show is good for showing it how it is.

PuckNPoker
03-22-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i was also really impressed with dan's read of deeb's A9 hand. he called, which was a mistake, but calling it out was something i'll always remember about that tourney too.

[/ QUOTE ]

So many great hands from Poker at the Plaza. Daniel N. was at his zenith, making safe plays, gambling plays (his T7s vs Kellers flopped trips comes to mind), agressive plays (that one hand against Annie was nice), and textbook examples of the "way ahead/way behind" plays. NONE of which will you see in PSI2 because there is zero post flop play.

Trainwreck
03-23-2005, 12:17 PM
That is the trouble with poker shows, you always know...

WAIT A MINUTE, oh CRIPES another SUCK OUT is coming! And yes! J2s vs AA wins again!

>TW<