PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting with multiway hands

Stork
03-21-2005, 03:34 AM
Usually when I get a hand like 98s, say after 3 limpers or so I call to see a cheap flop and hope I hit it big, but lately I've been trying a different strategy which is raising around 3x the big blind to bloat the pot a little bit so that if I do flop something good, people will be more enticed to call me with marginal holdings. So basicly I'm investing a little bit extra preflop to get payed alot more post flop. Or that's the theory of it, anyways. Is there any merit to this, or is it just chip spewing? Also, sometimes when it backfires and I get only 1 caller, the preflop raise still gives me some fold equity if the flop comes discoordinated.

kurto
03-21-2005, 03:46 AM
I think if you're not raising too often and you're in position, its great. If you hit your flop, no one will put you on it. And if an ace or king hits (presuming you're not raising all the time and people will give you credit for a decent hand) and they check to you, your bluff will have more weight... and if you totally miss, they may give you credit for an overpair.

But your bet should be the same as you would bet if you have a real decent PP or AK. If you would raise it 5xbb in that case with Aces, you must do the same. Otherwise, people will recognize that you're raising with a less then premium hand.

xorbie
03-21-2005, 04:21 AM
I agree with this post.

What I often do is if I'm in MP and there's 1/2 limpers to me, and I get a hand like QJs, I raise it up to $1 to try and buy the button. I'd do the same with maybe 89s, but that's about as low as I'd go.

RiverTheNuts
03-21-2005, 04:30 AM
Good post, buying the button in MP with decent suited connectors is a good play, limpers will call, and youll have multiway action on the button with a hand that if it hits will definately be good, and a beefed up pot.. Post flop you can price your own draws and win a huge majority of these w/o showdown