PDA

View Full Version : The REAL reason the GOP wants Terri Schiavo to live..

Daliman
03-21-2005, 03:14 AM
as if it were ever in doubt...

"GOP memo says issue offers political rewards

By The Washington Post

WASHINGTON — Republican leaders believe their attention to the Terri Schiavo issue could pay dividends with Christian conservatives whose support they covet in the 2006 midterm elections, according to a GOP memo intended to be seen only by senators.

The one-page memo, distributed to Republican senators by party leaders, called the debate over Schiavo legislation "a great political issue" that would appeal to the party's base, or core, supporters. The memo singled out Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., who is up for re-election next year.

"This is an important moral issue, and the pro-life base will be excited that the Senate is debating this important issue," said the memo, reported by ABC News and later given to The Washington Post. "This is a great political issue, because Senator Nelson of Florida has already refused to become a co-sponsor and this is a tough issue for Democrats.""

link (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002213728_memo20.html)

BCPVP
03-21-2005, 03:24 AM
Reconfirming for those in doubt that politicans are indeed politicians.

This may be some of the Republicans' motives, but probably not all or most.

radek2166
03-21-2005, 03:27 AM
At what point is it too much?

BCPVP
03-21-2005, 03:57 AM
On an issue that will decide the fate of an innocent woman's life, I will tolerate a little opportunistic behavior. I just hope that it's not the OP's contention that the Democrats are above being political when it serves their purposes.

radek2166
03-21-2005, 04:07 AM
She is not really ummmmmm alive. Just in heartbeat.

BCPVP
03-21-2005, 04:21 AM
Last I checked, a beating heart = life. I could be wrong though.

To borrow Dead's phrase, no will = kill.

radek2166
03-21-2005, 04:54 AM
I guess what I try to figure out at what point is it too much? We will put a dog or cat to sleep so they wont suffer.

Mom, dad, etc we will do anything to keep them alive. Have you ever see midfoot droop? How bout a stage 4 decubitus bedsore? Or my favorite.A tube up ur ass, one in your penis, one in your tar and one right into your intestines.

Where s it supposed to stop?

Matty
03-21-2005, 08:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Last I checked, a beating heart = life. I could be wrong though.

[/ QUOTE ]And where did you check this at?

Hi, Republican Party, say goodbye to your Libertarian supporters.

Republicans have to do this to appease the Christian Right because they sure as hell aren't going to get anything done regarding abortion or gay marriage- no matter how much a majority they have. Sooner or later the Christian Right will realize they're just getting it up the ass from millionaires.

Here's to hoping that it's sooner.

Edit: Somehow Republicans think they know better than 10 courts, 19 judges, and every doctor involved in the case (including the court-appointed ones)? wtf?

Should every judge take a poll before rendering a decision now?

EarlCat
03-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Repeat after me.
FOOD IS NOT ARTIFICIAL LIFE SUPPORT.

EarlCat
03-21-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi, Republican Party, say goodbye to your Libertarian supporters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a libertarian, and the Republicans happen to be right in this case. The only legitimate function of government is to protect the people from eachother.

Utah
03-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Lets stipulate this is true (even though we cant be sure).

I am sure that every decision made by either party is analyzed for the decision's political impact. There is nothing wrong with that and it doesnt speak directly to the issue of why they are pursuing the issue.

Now, if it was more along the lines of, "well, we dont care but lets pursue it for political reasons" then you would have a stronger case for something mischevious.

microbet
03-21-2005, 02:28 PM
Regardless of whether this woman should be kept alive or not, as a libertarian I presume you don't think congress should be passing a law pertaining only to this one person.

EarlCat
03-21-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Regardless of whether this woman should be kept alive or not, as a libertarian I presume you don't think congress should be passing a law pertaining only to this one person.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the time constraints that are on the situation, I'm not gonna lose sleep. Had they passed a blanked anti-euthenasia (sp?) law or something like that I think I'd be more worred. Regardless of the constitutionality--which i hope her life will be spared at least long enough to have sorted out--I believe intervening here is a legitmate function of the government. The constitution has had some pretty illegitimate things in it too like the 3/5ths rule, the prohibition of alcohol, and the taxation of income, so constitutionality isn't the primary concern here...and neither is the authority of these judges in Florida.

In lieu of passing this law, I would be in favor of more drastic measures like having her arrested (so she could at least be fed like any other prisoner).

Daliman
03-21-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With the time constraints that are on the situation, I'm not gonna lose sleep. Had they passed a blanked anti-euthenasia (sp?) law or something like that I think I'd be more worred. Regardless of the constitutionality--which i hope her life will be spared at least long enough to have sorted out--I believe intervening here is a legitmate function of the government. The constitution has had some pretty illegitimate things in it too like the 3/5ths rule, the prohibition of alcohol, and the taxation of income, so constitutionality isn't the primary concern here...and neither is the authority of these judges in Florida.

In lieu of passing this law, I would be in favor of more drastic measures like having her arrested (so she could at least be fed like any other prisoner).

[/ QUOTE ]

So, in other words, you are a libertarian only for things regarding yourself.

microbet
03-21-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe intervening here is a legitmate function of the government.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eventhough I'm generally libertarian (not a party member) I do agree with you here. But, the government did address this issue. The courts with the proper juristiction addressed it many times. Issues concerning one person such as this, belong in court, not in the legislature.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really believe this, that is fine. I don't agree, but I can understand how some people can believe that an issue like this is worth disregarding the law. If it were my job to enforce such things, I would prosecute the arresting person for false arrest (I'm not a lawyer, maybe there is a better charge), even while I respected their committment to their ideology.