PDA

View Full Version : Folding overpairs post flop

rootsmusic
03-21-2005, 02:44 AM
Two hands where I folded my overpairs after the flop. Hand one I felt good about the fold, but hand two I felt like I might have been pushed around. Both hands are at $200NL, 1/2 blinds. I welcome all critiques.

Hand 1
At this table there are four solid players (myself included) who are value betting the hell out of a large field of looser/laggy players. I have been playing tight. Villain in hand is perhaps the tighest of the table, but not hard to read.

Preflop: 2 folds, bad player ($28) raises to $4, Hero ($244) raises to $12 with Qd Qc, folded to Villain ($119) in BB who min-reraises to $20. Bad player folds, Hero calls.

* From this type of player I instantly felt the minreraise was AA, not exactly trying to make me go away, just wanting to build the pot, knowing I couldn't fold a real hand here. Could I?

Flop ($45): 5s 4s 8h -- Villain bets $24, Hero calls.

Turn ($93): 2c -- Villain pushes for $77, Hero folds.

(Now that I look at this guy's stats in pokertracker, I see his VPIP is 15% -- maybe I should have folded earlier.)

-------------------------------------------

Hand 2
This one felt f*cked up and I think that there's a good chance I folded the best hand. But I was out of position on a bad board for my hand. No read on Villain, but table is playing big pots, with a couple of stacks at $500 plus. Laggy preflop and flop action. I have only been seated for a couple of minutes.

Preflop: 3 limpers to me ($201) in CO+1 and I make it $10 with Kd Kc. Smaller than I would usually make it, as usually all my pf raises are pot-sized. The beginning of the misplay I suppose. Actually with stacks at the table so big, maybe an overbet is in order? Villain in CO ($196) calls, as does SB ($460) and one limper ($265). Yuck.

Flop: ($46): 7c 6s 3s -- Checked to me, I bet $30. Villain calls, others fold.

Turn: ($106): 9c -- I bet $55, Villain raises all-in to $156, I fold.

I feel awful as I type this, I'll let you tell me how bad I screwed it up. Thanks.

Bongo
03-21-2005, 03:18 AM
Hand 1: I think the fold is right, he surely doesn't have AK. The question is if you could have gotten out earlier. I don't know. You really don't have that much information on the flop. You need a very good read to fold there. The pf raiser always bets the flop.

Hand 2: You were subjected to a super power play. Check call followed by a check raise. This is a situation where I can relatively easily fold an overpair. If I'm out of position and someone just calls me all the way then I'd probably go broke if I were beaten. People call me with trash so often that I have to bet. Here the situation is different.

rootsmusic
03-21-2005, 03:33 AM
Thanks for replying.
Actually in Hand 2, Villain has position on me. I am in late mid position, he is in CO. So he flat called preflop, on the flop, then raised my turn bet all-in.
There were some preflop callers in earlier position, but they both folded on the flop. Sorry if the description was confusing.

edge
03-21-2005, 05:32 AM
I'm only going to look at hand 1, since I'm kind of tired and possibly tilty. When you get minreraised preflop and you flat call it, you're making a decision to play for a set, since you're putting him on AA or KK. There's no point in calling the flop and folding the turn. If you think he has AA or KK, fold the flop. If you think he could have JJ or AK, call the turn. Calling the flop and folding the turn is pointless.