PDA

View Full Version : I take advice from my little sister on how to play TPTK.

ihardlyknowher
03-21-2005, 02:38 AM
Only have 7 hands on Villain, haven't seen him show down anything. Seems pretty passive.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button :#A500AF(Villain)/ calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, Villain calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

River: (8 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

istewart
03-21-2005, 02:41 AM
I think you could raise this preflop most likely, since you're first in.

Entity
03-21-2005, 02:41 AM
Meh.

I don't like openlimping with this hand in MP1. I'd probably raise.

Turn call is kinda thin, but since you might be ahead, it's ok. 7 hands can't provide much of a read.

River call is fine.

Rob

scotty34
03-21-2005, 02:44 AM
This is pretty much wide open given your reads. Anywhere from a slow-played set of 2's or 7's to a small two-pair to a set of 4's hit on the turn. I would say you are behind here either way. Can't leave out the possibility that he is bluffing, but folding here would probably save you money.

Big Folder
03-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Ok, these are one of those situations where im probably spewing chips but let me see if im correcct as to why you guys would recommend a fold on the turn because my first response to this play was to re-raise the turn /images/graemlins/confused.gif.

Looking over it again i realized the pot was small and the player has been described as passive even though that read isn't really a solid one yet.

If that pot had been bigger, say 8bb would have this been a call or even a raise? If the player was known as a lag would a call be correct or even a raise?

Or does this raise make it extremely obvious that he can now beat tptk and its not worth stayin in the pot even if it was bigger and the guy is a known lag?

In situations like this I would almost never give any .5/1 player respect. I would assume they thought i was bluffing on the flop and are now raising their mid-pair in a smaller field, were trying to bluff me off what they thought was a bluff from me or some other crap. Reading these forums I realize that better players than I are making plays like you guys described and their logic makes sense. But I have this fear that the line between Tag and Weak/tight is thinner than it is and that calling down seems weak in my mind in situations like this. And even though I have begun to realize I'm wrong I'm worried i'll take this too far and end up weak/tight.

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

stoxtrader
03-21-2005, 09:30 AM
you open limped with ATo 2 off the button in a 7 handed game?

definite raise here. the rest of the hand is fine.

jaxUp
03-21-2005, 09:40 AM
4 off the button.

martinimagic
03-21-2005, 09:56 AM
I would like to hear more on this as well. I looked at my biggest leak in the last week and I am over playing pairs. PT has shown I am a real sucka for offsuit high cards. I don't respect the raisers and take it between the eyes every time. I have run into so many slowplayed sets the week I am getting shell-shocked. If nothing else I have learned how valuable a read is in these situations.

Fold the turn. Not having a good read play him as passive.

River looks good to me.

KaiShin
03-21-2005, 11:58 AM
The problem with 3-betting the turn is, what will you do if its capped? Your hand isn't strong enough to call it, but if you fold there your table image suffers a huge hit. Once villain raises you on the turn your goal should be to get to a showdown as cheaply as possible if the river doesn't improve you.

Make him show his hand, take a note, and maybe next time you'll have a better read to find a fold, or raise.

Big Folder
03-21-2005, 04:51 PM
well if he capped I'd call given the pot odds and then pray he turns out to be a bluffing maniac /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

But I see your point. So something like this is SoP until you develop enough of a read on your opponent to know if he will only bet with a strong hand, will bluff raise or if he'll overplay second pair, ect? Interesting...

Shillx
03-21-2005, 05:23 PM
Yeah you need 6.5:1 to call the turn (this is the inflection point) if you KNOW that you are beat (and only call the river if you improve). Since you are getting 7:1, it is a pretty easy call. Since the river seven counterfits a hand like T2 or T4 or 42 you need to call there. He could also have a hand like QT or KT that you had in bad shape all along.

Brad