PDA

View Full Version : Aggression check: 10xbb, open-push JTs in CO?

otctrader
03-21-2005, 01:00 AM
Low limit MTT on bubble, ~20 spots left to money (chump change, so fold equity is not significant). LAGgy table, few steal ops, finally its folded to me in CO w/10xbb... button and blinds have stacks from 9bb-12bb; none of the potential villians have shown aggressive tendencies against raises.

I shove JTs due to the stack sizes yet to act (equivalent). My guess is that I would be looked up by mid-pairs and AJ or better; is this move reckless?

FWIW Harrington has suited connectors down to T9s as open-raises in LP, although I don't know if it's fair to apply his value raising advice in a short-stacked open-push scenario. In fact do the cards I hold here hold much relevancy at all, or would you treat this as a pure situational steal attempt that you might try with any 2?

billyjex
03-21-2005, 01:16 AM
I would push here. The only time I might not push is if the stacks behind me were very large (in a small buy in tourney people with call you with alot of hands if they have chips to burn.)

Get the blinds, hopefully there's no big hands waiting for you.

Roman
03-21-2005, 01:18 AM
looks allright to me.

mikeyworm
03-21-2005, 03:58 AM
looks good.

schwza
03-21-2005, 11:03 AM
if you have right at 10x, i'd be more inclined to make it 2.5x to go. but i'm not folding.

MrLob
03-21-2005, 01:28 PM
I think push is fine, but schwa's point is well taken. Sometimes a smaller raise is more intimidating than an all in.

EverettKings
03-21-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think push is fine, but schwa's point is well taken. Sometimes a smaller raise is more intimidating than an all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure it's more intimidating (especially at low buy ins), but there aren't many hands that the blinds will play for 2.5x that they wouldnt play for all their chips. I just don't think you need to push if 2.5x will do the trick and folding to an all in won't cripple you.

At low buy ins you'll get paid off on your good hands when they come, so I don't really want to go chance going broke right here if I can find a cheaper way out.

-Kings

Avgard
03-21-2005, 02:20 PM
You may be surprised by how well that hand does against the hands that will call you. JTs is 58% favorite against any pair and any ace (obviously against the collection as a whole). So your move might pick up the blinds and if called have a good hand to battle a variety of hands.

mikeyworm
03-21-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You may be surprised by how well that hand does against the hands that will call you. JTs is 58% favorite against any pair and any ace (obviously against the collection as a whole). So your move might pick up the blinds and if called have a good hand to battle a variety of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think this is true...quoting pokerstove.

equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 43.5095 % [ 00.43 00.00 ] { JTs }
Hand 2: 56.4905 % [ 00.56 00.00 ] { AA-22, AKs-A2s, AKo-A2o }