PDA

View Full Version : Fraternities vs. Dorm life

jack spade23
03-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Is anyone out here a frat man and do they have any advice regarding choosing a frat or not going greek, or anything of that nature?

admo415
03-20-2005, 08:59 PM
FRAT!

PhatTBoll
03-20-2005, 09:02 PM
Use the search function. There was a huge thread on this a couple months ago.

wacki
03-20-2005, 09:02 PM
Linky (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=1400748&Fo rum=All_Forums&Words=%2Bask%20%2Bfraternity&Search page=0&Limit=25&Main=1397250&Search=true&where=bod ysub&Name=7066&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y& olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post1400748)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/pwarcham/capt.jpg

Jurollo
03-20-2005, 09:03 PM
Frats suck, the brainwash you into completely losing your individuality... is that worth getting some less than average ass a few nights? I think not.
~Justin

gamblore99
03-20-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Frats suck, the brainwash you into completely losing your individuality... is that worth getting some less than average ass a few nights? I think not.
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not in a frat. How many nights are we talking?

threeonefour
03-20-2005, 09:09 PM
I think the answer on whether or not you should go greek is highly dependent on whether or not you are capable of making friends without having to pay for them.

wacki
03-20-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

30% of IU is greek. I agree, every single one of them has completely lost their individuality. And all of those social/philanthropy events are horrible for meeting girls.*sarcasm*

Man your powers of reason [censored] suck.

wacki
03-20-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the answer on whether or not you should go greek is highly dependent on whether or not you are capable of making friends without having to pay for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not. Both types can either make it through or be broken by the greek system. It depends on the house/person combo.

Voltron87
03-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Everyone I've met who has said "Pledge" has had good reasons for saying to go for it and everyone who I've met who has said "Fratboys are lame" has just bitched about how they they're stupid. I've never heard a good argument as for why pledging is a bad idea. But everyone I know in a frat loves it. Maybe it's a self selecting group, but I don't think so. There are a lot of different fraternities, visit a bunch, not just one.

HDPM
03-20-2005, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not in a frat. How many nights are we talking?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends whether you are talking about men or women. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

admo415
03-20-2005, 09:30 PM
The ones that don't like it got hosed and are bitter. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ianco15
03-20-2005, 09:32 PM
First of all, you have to say fraternity not "frat" or the people in the fraternities will get really mad at you. That last sentence pretty much sums up my experience with fraternities. Fraternities are drinking clubs that take everything too seriously.

I pledged for a month and I dropped after I realized that I really wasn't interested in becoming on of the bros. All they do is sit around the house getting blitzed every night and going to huge parties nightly. That kind of life is not for me. I enjoy drinking and partying, but not to the extent of most fraternity guys. And I generally prefer more chill, laid back parties than the fraternity guys do.

For some people joining a fraternity is a good idea, though. Be prepared to work and be a bitch your pledge semester, and don't join if you don't want to get wasted a lot.

Voltron87
03-20-2005, 09:33 PM
DELTA SIGMA PHI ALPHA NU GAMMA ROOOOOLZ!!!! YES! KEG! YES!

wacki
03-20-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Be prepared to work and be a bitch your pledge semester

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only sentence in your post I agree with. And not all frats are like that. Most of the good ones are however, but not all.

Sponger15SB
03-20-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Linky (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=1400748&Fo rum=All_Forums&Words=%2Bask%20%2Bfraternity&Search page=0&Limit=25&Main=1397250&Search=true&where=bod ysub&Name=7066&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y& olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post1400748)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wacki you were in pike?

Well at least it is only in the 2nd lamest frat (behind SAE)

wacki
03-20-2005, 09:45 PM
On what campus? Here SAE is one of the best. Of course Tri Delts are really good here and they suck at Purdue.

It's nice to know you think so highly of me though. /images/graemlins/mad.gif I defended you in the "Is sponger smart" thread too. Fucker.

When have I done anything mean to you?

BTW, yes I am a pike and they don't exist on IU's campus anymore. They got kicked off. So did Beta's and about a dozen other fraternities.

augie00
03-20-2005, 09:56 PM
I lived in the dorms my first semester, and rushed a fraternity my 2nd semester.

It was without a doubt the best choice I've ever made, but it varies on an individual basis. It's pretty easy to pick up when people are genuinely interested in being friends with you; join a house where you actually think that the guys want you to join.

All that jive about "paying for your friends" is BS, because if someone doesn't like you they can just black-ball you anyway.

You make a TON of connections, meet a TON of girls, and if you've got just a shred of game you can get laid pretty much any weekend. You just gotta lower your standards a little bit /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sponger15SB
03-20-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On what campus? Here SAE is one of the best, if not the best. Of course Tri Delts are really good here and they suck at Purdue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I go to UCSB. The people I gather the information that SAE and Pike are the lamest/most hated frats are from UCLA, USC, and other UC/CSU schools in california.

[ QUOTE ]

It's nice to know you think so highly of me though. /images/graemlins/mad.gif I defended you in the "Is sponger smart thread" too. Fucker.

When have I done anything mean to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do think highly of you, I just enjoy making fun of frats/people in frats. It is also easy to get under your skin because you try to think through things so logically most of the time.

Anyways, since I have the frat crowd paying attention I'll say this. I have not met a single person who is at a fraternity at my school that I have liked, and the only people that I know in fraternities that I like I knew before they joined them (most went to my high school).

The whole concept of a frat seems incredibly stupid and pointless to me. Actually, its not as bad as being in a sorority though. My friend is the president of gamma phi beta at USC, and her life seems like torture.

Voltron87
03-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Now sororities, sororities are [censored] up. Capital F [censored] up.

jar
03-20-2005, 10:09 PM
I've never been in a fraternity, but I've had friends who are. I see the advantages and disadvantages pretty clearly. It was very obviously not the right choice for me, but I see good things too. For me a lot of the fun stuff in college came from being able to go do whatever I wanted when I wanted to. Fraternity life, with it's large amount of planned stuff would've taken away some of that. On the other hand, I know plenty of people who bitch about how boring campus life is and how they have nothing to do. There's plenty to do if they'd just go looking, but fraternities would probably help these people get out and do stuff.

The important advice really is to check out all of your options and see if you can find a fraternity where many of the brothers are people you'd be friends with anyway. Also think about whether you'd like there to be some kind of planned social and service events for you a lot of the time, or whether you'd rather be more random.

fimbulwinter
03-20-2005, 10:37 PM
go to rush
don't go your first quarter in college
rush every house, the vast majority suck
don't go in with any expectations
ask about their:
social calendar
sports
food
see rooms
dues
pledge quarter (don't expect much honesty though)
ask sorority girls if indeed they've told the truth about their social

if all looks on the up-and-up, and you want to join, do it.
I never thought i would, but i did and i only wish i had sooner.

it's just like doing anything else: go in with an open mind, see what they offer and make a well-informed decision.

in my case i get a bigger scholarship than my dues and have the option of partying 5 nights a week if i want to with hot girls and guys i really respect and like hanging out with. not a bad deal in my case, but most frats aren't so nice, so be careful.

fim

mason55
03-20-2005, 10:41 PM
If you find that you tend to go with the crowd (not saying this is a bad thing at all!) a frat is right up your alley. You can find one that fits whatever interests you have (drinking or philanthropy and professional development).

However if you find that you march to the beat of your own drummer then a fraternity might not be for you. Fraternities are all about UNITY. Number one thing.

Me personally, the greek system at my school sucked. There was only one good house and their parties weren't even that good. The philanthropy was a joke. I threw bigger parties that I planned in 3 hours than any of the frats could throw.

OTOH, I grew up right near Ohio State. I only went to fraternity parties there when I was in high school. The parties there were huge and amazing. As everyone else said, don't take other people's opinions too seriously unless they went to the same school as you, because greek life is different everywhere.

morgan180
03-20-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I go to UCSB.

[/ QUOTE ]

smartest man alive - go gauchos.

Sponger15SB
03-20-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I go to UCSB.

[/ QUOTE ]

smartest man alive - go gauchos.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you vote in this thread? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=1957465&Fo rum=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main =1957465&Search=true&where=&Name=5790&daterange=&n ewerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev= #Post1957465)

morgan180
03-20-2005, 10:54 PM
explanation for shallow people:

have you ever been to a party where they ran out of beer and they passed a hat around trying to scrape up 50 bucks for another keg?

now imagine a bunch of people passing a hat before the party every day all year long and people putting in 5 bucks a day - you'd have a lot money for a lot of beer.

explanation for intelligent people:
"it's not what you know, it's who you know"

if you ever want an instant network of people to help you AFTER college - being in a fraternity is definitely +EV

of course this is just my humble opinion

bdk3clash
03-20-2005, 11:11 PM
http://img11.exs.cx/img11/455/fratalien0sd.jpg
"My dad owns a dealership..."

peachy
03-21-2005, 12:17 AM
im in a sorority...but i dunno if u want that input

Jurollo
03-21-2005, 12:28 AM
Peachy the only input we would like is an address and the date of your next party /images/graemlins/wink.gif
~Justin

IggyWH
03-21-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
im in a sorority...but i dunno if u want that input

[/ QUOTE ]

This Post Is Worthless Without Pics

fsuplayer
03-21-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First of all, you have to say fraternity not "frat" or the people in the fraternities will get really mad at you

[/ QUOTE ]

this is just not true. every (non-toolish) guy i've met in one couldnt care less, fraternaty is too many syllabals, thats all.

I joined a frat my first year of school and had a blast for a year and a half, learned a ton about life, dealing with people, girls, and met my gf soon-to-be-finacee.

so yeah, I think it was a good idea and a blast, but 3-4 semesters was enough.

I did meet my two best friends there however, and wouldnt give that up for anything.

id do it if I were you.

gl to you.

billyjex
03-21-2005, 12:44 AM
I'm in a frat, it's been a great experience.

Just go out to rush. Check out the fraternities. If you find one you like and one with guys you would get along with, go for it.

It doesn't hurt to check it out.

peachy
03-21-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Peachy the only input we would like is an address and the date of your next party /images/graemlins/wink.gif
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

haha u cant come if its a closed one!!

Asufiji2004
03-21-2005, 12:55 AM
I would join, but only if you meet a group of guys who you could see yourself hanging out with on a regular basis. I would definitely stay away from 100+ man houses. You will just be another number. I was a FIJI as Arizona State and it was the best decision I made in college. We were small with an off-campus house. My 3 years there we never had more than 30 members, and we clowned on the other houses with 100 plus members. I mean why join a Fraternity if you don't even know all the guys in it? I never understood that. It can be worth it if you take the time during rush week to try to get as much information about each fraternity in order to make an educated decision about which house best suits your interests. Whoever says you're paying for your friends is retarded most of your dues will go to paying for insurance.

I knew there was a reason I voted Sponger smart. SAE is the lamest ever for 2 reasons: High volume of homosexuals and they are bastard FIJI's.

Michael Davis
03-21-2005, 12:59 AM
"haha u cant come if its a closed one!!"

It just takes a bit longer.

-Michael

Jurollo
03-21-2005, 01:00 AM
Here is where my predjudice comes from for frats:
a) In worcester, generally speaking, every frat dude wears one of the same 10 outfits and tries to be someone they aren't just to get people to like them as being unique and being yourself is one of the most important things in life (from my personal experience, I know some cool frat boys too)
b) I had a friend from high school who got completely changed and essentially became a completely cocky douche from being in a frat (could have not been the frat, i suspect it was though)
c) I feel like anyone who has to subject themselves to a structured ladder of people having power over others which can sometimes be used in demeaning way seems stupid to me personally. I would rather have people like me because they like me, not because they are forced to.

I realize these are generally stereotypes and come from a fairly small sampling of personal experiences but that is just how I feel. I also realize some kids have to enter them in some schools because they are the ONLY social outlet on campus. Persecute my views......NOW!
~Justin

p.s. peachy can I please come to your private parties, pretty please with sugar on top!

wacki
03-21-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would definitely stay away from 100+ man houses. You will just be another number.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the good houses are going to be 100+ houses. And if it is a good house you will know every single man in that house.

[ QUOTE ]
SAE is the lamest ever for 2 reasons: High volume of homosexuals and they are bastard FIJI's.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF??? Do you guys not understand the concept of different locations? A shity house on one campus can be the best one at another. How hard is that for you guys to understand?

FWIW, at IU FIJI's are a bunch of fags. In order to get in your house your dad has to of been a FIJI. It's pretty lame. It's almost like royalty but without the benefits of royalty. Needless to say their parties suck and the only thing a lot of them have in common is that they are trust fund babies.

Victor
03-21-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, at IU FIJI's are a bunch of fags. In order to get in your house your dad has to of been a FIJI. It's pretty lame. It's almost like royalty but without the benefits of royalty. Needless to say their parties suck and the only thing a lot of them have in common is that they are trust fund babies.

[/ QUOTE ]

im a fiji and i agree on this.

however, not all houses are like iu.

wacki
03-21-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
im a fiji and i agree on this.

however, not all houses are like iu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I did not expect that. However, I do have a ton of respect for your honesty.

Sponger15SB
03-21-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know who the greek gods are?

JOIN (insert frat)!

Asufiji2004
03-21-2005, 01:23 AM
I don't know what your definition of "good" is, but how big your house is, don't mean anything. There is NO way you know 100 guys. You may remember there name, or recognize there face, but actually know them. I call BS it's impossible. Of course I recognize the difference from campus to campus. We certainly weren't trust fund kids. We were outcasts banned from on campus housing. This was the reason we threw awesome parties, no campus security bothering us. I stand by my SAE statements, they recruit members from junior colleges they are numbers driven. Also there founding fathers were blackballed from FIJI, so they made there own up. Anyway I don't want this to turn into a "my frat is better than your frat" thing. I was done with fraternities a few years ago, and I could care less.

jcx
03-21-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is anyone out here a frat man and do they have any advice regarding choosing a frat or not going greek, or anything of that nature?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the school. I suppose at some more closely knit schools in a relatively uninteresting/boring location joining a frat would be advisable if you want to make friends and get laid. But when I was at Arizona State it was completely unecessary.

wacki
03-21-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is NO way you know 100 guys. I call BS it's impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew 100 guys. I knew their name, their face, their DOB, home town, major, favorite food, what they liked to eat for breakfast (because I served it to them in the morning), what their favorite drink was, what their girlfriends name was, and more. We had these things called blackbooks we kept all the info in. My pledgeship was hell. I learned a lot, but there is no way I would ever do it again. Now, does that mean I knew them like I knew my brother??? Hell no, come on man you know what I meant.

[ QUOTE ]
I stand by my SAE statements

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF??? Do you guys not understand the concept of different locations? A shity house on one campus can be the best one at another. How hard is that for you guys to understand?

How many times do I need to repeat that? The next time I have to say it I will draw it out in crayon! Will that help you understand?

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway I don't want this to turn into a "my frat is better than your frat" thing. I was done with fraternities a few years ago, and I could care less.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read your post, I looked at your username, your 5 month old registration date......
I will bite my tongue.

Asufiji2004
03-21-2005, 02:00 AM
Just because I don't wanna argue who is better doesn't mean I'm not proud. I think it's childish. Obviously it's different for everybody. I guess you'll be getting those crayola's out because I still stand by my SAE commments. I was talkin about there HISTORY, which has nothing to do with chapter location. Also there recruitment methods, which has nothing to do with chapter location, it is By-Law.

what does registration date have to do with anything? Let me guess you're one of those my 4000 posts penis is bigger than yours. Idiot

Eurotrash
03-21-2005, 02:01 AM
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but something I happened upon..

www.fratty.net (http://www.fratty.net)

amusing.

edit: their links section (fratdaddy.com, for example) is good for a chuckle as well

wacki
03-21-2005, 02:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what does registration date have to do with anything?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was done with fraternities a few years ago,

[/ QUOTE ]

Asu fiji 2004
Reged: 08/10/04

Connection 1 drawn in crayon.

You know what? I don't have time to do this with you. I have work to do. Later.....

Asufiji2004
03-21-2005, 02:11 AM
Yeah last year was 2004, I never claimed to put alot of thought into my username. I guess I'll scan my diploma from 2002, and post a pic. Your avatar makes sense.

beta1607
03-21-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in a frat, it's been a great experience.

Just go out to rush. Check out the fraternities. If you find one you like and one with guys you would get along with, go for it.

It doesn't hurt to check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, what he said. FWIW - the fraternity experiance is what you make of it. If you want a house with a bunch of drunk coke heads I am sure your school has that and if you want a house with a more laid back atmosphere I am sure you have that too. I graduated college in Dec 2003 and I still am very happy that I joined a my fraternity and keep in touch with many of the brothers.

Also, you cant discount the alumni connections, regardless of the field you want to go into.

peachy
03-21-2005, 02:17 AM
i was in tri delt - and its different everywhere

Jack of Arcades
03-21-2005, 03:34 AM
Ahahaha. Ahahaha. Nice.

jack spade23
03-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks all for your responses. BTW, the house i really liked when i visited was FIJI, however this chapter is really cool, they have the highest GPA everye semester but also have the biggest parties. Perfect combo

morgan180
03-21-2005, 12:39 PM
voted a big yes.

chaas4747
03-21-2005, 12:53 PM
LOL!
Tri-Delt, everyone else has!

Jurollo
03-21-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah last year was 2004, I never claimed to put alot of thought into my username. I guess I'll scan my diploma from 2002, and post a pic. Your avatar makes sense.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well someone is going on ignore. Congrats! I would have earlier just by seeing your username but I might have given you the benefit of the doubt until this thread, you are indeed a moron, not representing fiji well!
~Justin

beerbandit
03-21-2005, 01:03 PM
are naked pillow fights a regular occurence?

chaas4747
03-21-2005, 01:08 PM
I went to a university to play football. Small College, about 60% Greek. My initial reason was to the football scholarship. I pledged a house, and after 4 years my father asked me if I had to do it all again and only pick the house or football which would I pick. This would have been a very tough decision.
Houses are a great place to live while you attend college. For my advice, and what I believe will make you experience much better check on these things.

History & Ritual - This will make the experience a national thing more than just your campus. It is always nice to meet a fellow brother from other places and know we have something in common.

Academic requirements - You probably don't want to join some place that says, "You’re ok, as long as you can carry a 1.5". Probably not going to be the best place to study.

Dues and Fees - make sure the house is not going to raise the dues 1000% in the next few years.

Scholarships - I earned about $2000 a year after my first year. It was awesome.

Social events - first question "Are you on any kind of probation that prohibits you from participating in events". This can happen, and to join something that already sucks is bad. How many parties, usually on weekends?

Biggest advice - summer rush parties are great. If you meet a few guys from a few houses during the summer, when you get to school you already have an in. Make rush a lot easier, when you feel comfortable enough to walk up to the guy, and greet them.

Hope this helps.

Asufiji2004
03-21-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well someone is going on ignore. Congrats! I would have earlier just by seeing your username but I might have given you the benefit of the doubt until this thread, you are indeed a moron, not representing fiji well!
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people feel the need to announce they are ignoring someone? Dude who cares. No wait pretty please don't! Oh I'm crushed my day is ruined.

Victor
03-21-2005, 01:19 PM
what school btw?

beerbandit
03-21-2005, 01:36 PM
i speak from my experience --- so it may not apply to all

i pledged my first year and do not regret it at all -- i did go to a small school in michigan where most of the greek organizations were local, there were a few nationals but they did not have houses and were primarily academic (insurance, math..)

its hard to compare living in the house to the dorms --- i felt that it actually helped me, i lived there so all my stuff was there (including homework) it would be rare for someone that lived in the dorms to get school work done while hanging out --- and since i lived there it was pretty easy to get most done

i guess it depends on what type of person you are -- in my situation nobody was forced to conform, which -- in my expirience-- is to be what most non-greeks think

i think that aftr i moved into the house i may have went to the dorms 5-10 times my remaining few semesters there and one of the times i got in trouble for drinking a beer in the hallway(i was of age) and had to have a judicial hearing.

i miss those days

cheers

beerbandit
03-21-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you ever want an instant network of people to help you AFTER college - being in a fraternity is definitely +EV

[/ QUOTE ]

very true

jakethebake
03-21-2005, 01:57 PM
Frat. Don't miss out on....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/pwarcham/OOTtub.jpg

peachy
03-21-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
are naked pillow fights a regular occurence?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes every wednesday night...

beerbandit
03-21-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"haha u cant come if its a closed one!!"
[ QUOTE ]
It just takes a bit longer.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nice

Jurollo
03-21-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Frat. Don't miss out on....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/pwarcham/OOTtub.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

NH!
~Justin

jack spade23
03-21-2005, 06:01 PM
I think someone asked what school, im not sure if it was for me or someone else. The one im talking about is Wabash College in IN, 70% greek

morgan180
03-21-2005, 06:34 PM
RAISE

http://epialumni.editme.com/files/Menu/HotTubNight2.1.jpg