PDA

View Full Version : A couple no limit

TAFKAn
10-07-2002, 05:39 PM
Here's a couple hands I played the other day. I want to know if I made the right plays. Any feedback is appreciated.

The game is two $5 blinds, $10 to go.

#1: I have $900. I open first in mid-position with TJo. All fold the button who raises to $100. BOTH BLINDS CALL! I figure I'm probably good if I flop hard to I call too. $400 in the pot. The flop comes JJx. I move all in and get called in two places. AA on the button, AJ in the blinds. The ace hits on the river. Could I have gotten away from it after the flop?

#2: Again, $900. I limp in first with aces hoping for a re-raise opportunity. Three callers and one of the blinds come in. Flop is 245 rainbow. I bet about $60, and a deep stack next to me raises to $200. All fold and I move all-in. He shows me the 6-3 for the flopped straight and my stack is gone.

#3. I open with 97o. The button calls behind me and one blind comes in. The button is short-stacked. I bet $20 on a flop of J82. The button calls and I fire about $50 on the turn which pairs the J. The button calls again. He is a tight old man type. The river brings my ten but also a runner-runner flush. Hmmmmm. I bet $60 and he raises all-in for another $48. I cannot possible be winning here. He must have JT. I fold and he shows pocket tens! Wierd.

Lurker
10-07-2002, 06:30 PM
Nate,

I think you could have gotten away from this hand (#2). You tried for a limp re-raise with aces and it didn't work. Fine, it happens.

The failed limp re-raise means there was no preflop raise to define any hands. I am always extra careful about risking my entire stack in an unraised pot. You are now out of position with only an overpair (and an inside straight draw which may be dead) against a deep stack. Think of what hands you might play from late position (4-5, A3s, etc.)...

Finally, when he raises, you've only put in $70. Fold to the big re-raise.

#2: Again, $900. I limp in first with aces hoping for a re-raise opportunity. Three callers and one of the blinds come in. Flop is 245 rainbow. I bet about $60, and a deep stack next to me raises to $200. All fold and I move all-in. He shows me the 6-3 for the flopped straight and my stack is gone.

Ray Zee
10-07-2002, 07:08 PM
#1 dont open in no limit here most times.
dont call the raise any time with this hand
with jt and jjx out there and that many players i would play small assuming any decent action i am beat.

#2 in an unraised pot like this try not to lose any money after the flop. you should have folded to his raise as very few times you will be against a hand you can beat.

#3 when the tight old man calls on the flop you should bet no more.

hand values are vastly different in no limit depending on the action from playing limit poker.

Zeno
10-08-2002, 05:01 AM
Hand #1. I don't like your call of the raise with the J10. You are up front and this hand is better played in LP for cheap.

Hand # 2. Did you consider a chicken-Sh*t raise to get the blinds out and/or maybe entice a re-raise. Flopped a flush did he. Ugly.

Hand # 3. Wierd is right, the way this hand played out. The old man was charging you only another $48 with his all-in bet. I think this was worth a call. However, I am sitting comfortably in my den at the computer and that is a hell of lot different than being at the table. But then tight old men do not usually go for runner-runner flushes. He pulled a good "semi-bluff" move. I was going to say something about the 97o - but, well - it is not my money nor my cards in play.

Regards, Zeno

Matt Flynn
10-08-2002, 12:21 PM
Natedogg,

Pretty funny post if that's you. An apropos made-up word of the day:

Sarchasm: the gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the recipient who doesn't get it.
/forums/images/icons/grin.gif
Matt

sam h
10-08-2002, 02:34 PM
Nate,

I got to say I dont like how you played any of these hands, but its easy to criticize and harder to play.

1) I dont mind the open limp as long as the stack sizes of the players you are dealing with are about as large or bigger than yours. But you can't call the raise for 11% of your stack, since you really must flop two pair or better to continue (if the button pushes in on the flop and the blinds fold, you will barely not have the correct odds to call if you are simply open ended) and your cards may be dominated by one of the holdings in the blinds. This is just gambling, and with very bad odds.

2) I think the limp-reraise attempt is fine but you should have gotten away from the hand. Remember that since you limped the deep stack must consider two pair and even a set as possible holdings for you. I would fold. If you really think he's bluffing, a call or small raise may be defensible (though I'm not that enthusiastic about either), but why come over the top in a manner that will only get called by a hand that crushes you?

3) I don't like the open limp with 97o that much, especially since one of the stacks you may be tangling with, and ended up doing so, is so small that your implied odds arent that high. After he called the flop bet I would shut down.

Just my two cents.

Sam