PDA

View Full Version : Does CBS have any announcers who love Duke more than these guys?

PITTM
03-20-2005, 08:19 PM
one of the top 5 most biased games ive ever heard called. are they on the duke payroll?

rj

LLXC
03-20-2005, 08:22 PM
They always do that for the fan favorites.

ttleistdci
03-20-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
one of the top 5 most biased games ive ever heard called. are they on the duke payroll?

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Joe Buck and Tim McCarver were for the Yankees during the ALCS.

smartalecc5
03-20-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, those guys were no good- so biased /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

TaxGoddess
03-20-2005, 11:19 PM
No - Dick Vitale just sucks. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ZBTHorton
03-21-2005, 02:44 AM
Every announcer always loves Duke. Because they have players people can actually relate to. (this has nothing to do with race) They go to classes, get degrees, and carry on real interviews.

I'm not a huge Duke fan but if they are playing almost anyone I root for them.

jon593
03-21-2005, 02:56 AM
also alot of the announcers went to duke or nc or somewhere in the acc so there will always be an acc bias

McGahee
03-21-2005, 09:34 AM
I wonder if somebody has wiped the blue & white paint off of Billy Packer's face yet. The guy makes Dan Rather look objective by comparison. Jim Nance tried to maintain some level of professionalism, but it was nearly impossible.

Send your Packer complaints here:
http://www.cbs.com/info/user_services/fb_global_form.shtml

Unfortunately, I think CBS is also part of the problem. Notice how they don't show any replays of the calls that go in favor of Duke, like the Roberts missed dunk when there was no foul called.

McGahee
03-21-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Every announcer always loves Duke. Because they have players people can actually relate to. (this has nothing to do with race) They go to classes, get degrees, and carry on real interviews.

I'm not a huge Duke fan but if they are playing almost anyone I root for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bogus myth.
Never mind the fact that an incredibly curious high % of their players major in sociology.

Graduation Rates:
http://www.bus.ucf.edu/sport/public/downloads/media/ides/Table%20-%20Mens%20Division%20I%20Grad%20Rates%20FINAL.pdf

Here's an excerpt from a Bob Ryan article in the Boston Globe.

"According to the Times-Picayune's Josh Peter, in the summer of 2000 Vivian Harper, mother of Duke incoming freshman point guard Chris Duhon, moved from her home in Slidell, La., to a two-bedroom apartment in Durham, N.C. She was given a job at a firm called NCM Capital Management Company, a billion-dollar money management firm owned by a man named Maceo Sloan, among whose possessions is an autographed basketball signed by the 1991 Duke championship team, Coach K's first title squad. Workers at the firm say the job was never posted. They also allege that Walker was given a substantial raise within four months.

There's more. Peters also reports that Carlos Boozer Sr., the then-unemployed father of former Duke star Carlos Boozer, was given a job at GlaxoSmithKline, a pharmaceutical company owned by Robert Ingram, who is a close friend of Coach K's. In order to take the job, the elder Boozer relocated from Alaska.

Coach K? Say it isn't so!

But this is not the first time Coach K's image has taken a little beating. He made a very big mistake in recruiting Corey Maggette, who played his AAU ball for the infamous (and aptly named) Myron Piggie in Kansas City. Maggette bolted for the NBA after his freshman year, but not before admitting he had accepted the kind of favors from Mr. Piggie that would have rendered him ineligible to play college ball in the first place. Coach K was contrite at the time, saying he had learned his lesson and would never mess around with that kind of kid again. So now he, or someone representing Duke's basketball interests, appears to be in the parental-job-placement business."