PDA

View Full Version : Did I make the right call?

trigeek08
03-20-2005, 08:16 PM
Pot-limit Omaha-8 on partypoker.com, $25 buy in. I get 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in late position. Everyone calls and I raise pot, (probably a questionable play) and get the blinds to call to the flop. Flop is J /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Checked to me and I bet $4 into the $6.25 pot. SB calls and BB raises pot. I know right away he has JJxx. I made the call, figuring I had 11 outs to make the straight, and, if he is semi/pure bluffing, also have the bottom two pair, maybe an extra out, so twelve outs to improve to the best hand. If I am correct in my assumption that he does in fact have JJxx, was the call correct? Also, his pot raise left him with only $.75, so I know I have no implied odds.

beset7
03-20-2005, 09:39 PM
If this was PLO High I would like your play on each street. In PLO8, I'd probably muck it preflop. I might limp in and play very cautiously. But, it's hard to imagine many flops that you actually like w/ this hand in PLO8. The problem with a hand like this is that even if you flop a decent draw, someone with a protect nut-low draw and redraws to the high nuts is going to get a free-roll on you.

Buzz
03-21-2005, 12:37 AM
trigeek08 - I don’t know why you’re so certain your opponent has a set of jacks, but if so, you have to wonder if BB also has a low draw, even a bad one, to go along with the set of jacks.

Hard to say, but a low draw surely is a distinct possibility. And I think that possibility tips the scales in favor of folding to the $10 raise.

Just my opinion.

Buzz

Phat Mack
03-21-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pot-limit Omaha-8 on partypoker.com, $25 buy in. I get 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in late position. Everyone calls and I raise pot, (probably a questionable play) and get the blinds to call to the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't play this hand unless I was sure I could get heads up against one of the blinds. Even then I probably wouldn't play it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif This is a bad hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop is J /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Checked to me and I bet $4 into the $6.25 pot. SB calls and BB raises pot. I know right away he has JJxx. I made the call, figuring I had 11 outs to make the straight, and, if he is semi/pure bluffing, also have the bottom two pair, maybe an extra out, so twelve outs to improve to the best hand. If I am correct in my assumption that he does in fact have JJxx, was the call correct? Also, his pot raise left him with only $.75, so I know I have no implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's early and I haven't had my coffee, but I count only 8 outs to the straight. You have the worst low draw known to man, and to call here you'd have to think that that it would beat BB's. If it does, then you have an escape if your high is no good or doesn't improve. The problem with that thinking is : a) it probably isn't better than BB's; and, b) SB is tagging along, shows no signs of going anywhere, and probably has you beat if BB doesn't.

Your starting hand was bad. It's always struggling for half the pot. It strikes me as the kind of hand that traps Omaha High or Stud 8 players when they first play O8. If this is the situation, I'd recommend reading Zee's O8 book.

jmo,

Mack

Hattifnatt
03-21-2005, 10:52 AM
Muck this hand preflop, everytime except in BB in unraised pot...

Now if you KNOW he have JJ and no lowdraw of course you call. But otherwise its a pretty clear fold on the flop.