PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Suggestion

gasgod
03-20-2005, 07:31 PM
Poker on TV cannot get enough original material, and reruns almost saturate schedule. So why doesn't Party (or PokerStars or whoever) try to cash in on the demand for spectator poker? Here's my suggestion.

1. Run a satellite or series of satellites to assemble an elite field of 100. There might be qualifying conditions such as points or recent tourney wins in order to assure that the field is really elite.

2. Each of these ten tables is a satellite to the main event, with just the top spot getting a seat, and perhaps the top three would get cash prizes.

3. The purse for final table is augmented by the house. To pick a number, let's say $25k. This is compensation for the "loss of privacy".

4. All the satellites in step 2, as well as the final table are "televised". That is, after the event is over, patrons can replay every hand with all the cards in view. (Obviously, software would have to be developed.) Patrons would purchase the right to do this, and I expect the fee for a satellite would be on the order of $1 or $2, while the final would sell for maybe $5. Who knows?

It seems unlikely to me that this would make money directly, but the big hook for the site is that a patron would have to have an account with money in it in order to view a tournament. Also, it might be an excellent draw for advertisers.

Comments?

GG