PDA

View Full Version : Live tourney, WSOP qualifier, questionable call

myst1
03-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Started with 160 players, we were down to the final 7, the top 2 finishers win a trip to Vegas and entry into a $2500 WSOP event. I see A /images/graemlins/spade.gif10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the big blind. Blinds are 1500/3000, and I have about 20k.

UTG+1 min-raises to 6000, and he also has about 20k in chips. I don't respect his raise at all, as I have seen him all-in twice, once with QJoff, and once with KJoff. Everybody folds to the small blind who calls. He is chip leader and has us both covered. The SB is a fairly straight forward player and would definately have re-raised with a big pair or AK.

I contemplated pushing here, as I am sure I am ahead of UTG+1, but I just decided to smooth call.

Flop comes J /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif.

The small blind's name is Marcus, (which I didn't know), and the dealer says "Okay Marcus its on you". Well for anyone who doesn't know, my name is Marc, and I assumed he was talking to me, and I immediately declare myself all-in. Then everyone's like "whoa, whoa its not your turn", and I apologize and wait for the SB to act.

Then he says to UTG+1 okay I'll put you all-in... I'm like WTF? This guy knows I'm pushing... and he does it in front of me? If the guy is solid... why the heck would he want to scare me away? And possibly also scare the other player away if he might call me.

Anyways, I think for a while... and I decided to call. I do the math in my head and I have great odds against anything other than AJ. I am also going for the trip or nothing, I don't care for 3rd or 4th place. If I win this hand, I am chip leader and very confident I am going to Vegas.

UTG+1 folds, and of course the SB flips up AJ, no spade on the turn, and an Ace on the river.

I go out in 7th place for the 3rd time in a row in these tournaments. The blinds were going up to 2k/4k next hand, and I would only have had 12k after posting my SB on the next hand, only 3 BB's.

Would you have made the call?

Apathy
03-20-2005, 05:23 PM
given your read it looks like a very easy push PF. As the hand played out though your getting way too good odds to call here, even though you should know he has AJ at worst. This is a tough way to learn this lesson about making sure whos turn it is live.

11t
03-20-2005, 05:30 PM
I would have folded ATs if a tight good player already called his raise or pushing over the top might work.

On the flop the pot is just too big and I think you are forced to call though.

MLG
03-20-2005, 05:33 PM
even if he shows you the AJ this is an easy call. you are getting better than 2:1 on your flush draw, and you only care about top 2 spots.