PDA

View Full Version : Am I becoming a LAG?

mtdoak
03-20-2005, 04:08 PM
After my recent B+M Trip, I have found myself playing much more agressivly, espically preflop from late position. I do this in shifts usually, changing gears, probably an overly agressive raise every few rounds, usually to try and pick up the button and win the pot on the turn.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font> (with the intention of mucking to a 3 bet), SB folds.

Final Pot: 7 BB

This hand i showed, just because the loosening of the table image has been very useful over a short sample space , getting alot more action on my big hands

admo415
03-20-2005, 04:10 PM
why didn't you cap hand one?

mtdoak
03-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Mid-end of the straight.

afk
03-20-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mid-end of the straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you put your opponent on exactly KQ? You should cap this every time. He's most likely made two pair or something.

mtdoak
03-20-2005, 04:27 PM
I'm a sissy little girl on the river.

Bascule
03-21-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a sissy little girl on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I am too. Even my cowardly weak tight ass finds a cap here though.

Super Pro
03-21-2005, 11:45 AM
not capping hand one is pretty horrible. if you're going to make stupid preflop raises, you should really at least try to get the max value out of it when you hit a straight. what other kind of board were you looking for here with Q8o?

crunchy1
03-21-2005, 11:50 AM
I like it!! I'm probably overly aggressive on the button too though. I think as long as you're doing it against the right players it is a very effective strategy.

I DON'T LIKE....

[ QUOTE ]
This hand i showed, just because the loosening of the table image has been very useful over a short sample space , getting alot more action on my big hands

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is BAAAAAAAD.

I think this accomplishes 2 bad things. (1) It lessens your opportunities to pick up small pots like you did on the 2 hands above. (2) It's going to make any TAGs start to play tricky against you. If they do this while you have a big hand and force you into a position to lay it down that's really bad! If they do this while you're picking on the FISH then it's taking away your profitable action at the table and that's probably even worse!!

I also think it fails to accomplish your actual goal of getting more action. There is plenty of action at the Party 2/4 already. You don't need to show hands to create more action.

27offsooot
03-21-2005, 11:51 AM
Without reads, these two PF plays are pretty bad. And cap the river in hand 1.

QTip
03-21-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think as long as you're doing it against the right players it is a very effective strategy

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you consider a "right player"?

crunchy1
03-21-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think as long as you're doing it against the right players it is a very effective strategy

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you consider a "right player"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Players that I have notes on and feel that I can outplay after the flop enough of the time to make it profitable (you know the type - the "Best laydown ever" type). I'm not sure if you can assign that read generally over one or several player type categories. I usually keep notes on players that I see making laydowns in these situations and I will attack accordingly.

It's probably easier to list the categories I'm NOT trying this against. I don't want to be doing this against a tricky player who could get cute with me. I also don't want to do it against habitual calling stations. I might try it against a limping rock but rarely and if he bets at any time I'm done.

Another big factor is the players left to act behind me. If there's a "I always play my button type" it's not working. It's also probably not working if the blinds are too loose. However, if the button is average (or I have it) and the blinds are too tight I might be more inclined to make this play.

Lame Amateur
03-21-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not capping hand one is pretty horrible. if you're going to make stupid preflop raises, you should really at least try to get the max value out of it when you hit a straight. what other kind of board were you looking for here with Q8o?

[/ QUOTE ]

If at all possible... I would like to bear your children

rmarotti
03-21-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If at all possible... I would like to bear your children

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif