PDA

View Full Version : The Stupid Switch.

DeanCarl
03-20-2005, 02:41 PM
I was just wondering how many of you have this switch in your head? I play mostly NL sngs with a few mtts (also NL) thrown in for a diversion and today was a perfect example of how the stupid switch works.

Still fairly early in a freeroll tourny on UB. I'm doing ok, taking my time and slowely building my stack around good, solid hands. No huge pots but I'm well above the average stack.

So, I'm delt KQs on the button. Bets limp to a player in MP who bets a small raise. A few folds to me and I call.

Flop is K66. Checked to MP who raises the pot.

And my stupid switch clicks to the on position! I KNOW my 2 pair is very vulnerable. I KNOW my opp is indicating trips. But do I back off? Of course not. I raise, he re-raises, I call.

Turn is a blank and MP goes all in. Stupid switch still being in the on postion I call eating up most of my stack.

River is another blank. Does he have his trips? Of course.

Deseration all in on the next hand and I'm out.

This happens quite a few times with me. Good, solid play for a period of time and then, CLICK, on it comes and I misplay a major pot and I'm left looking at this little, tiny stack that was often 1st or 2nd (in my sngs) a few moments ago.

I'm gonna go get a CAT scan and see if the docs can find that durn thing and cut it out! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dean

FredJones888
03-20-2005, 03:10 PM
I think its really just a sign of a used up attention span.

Al Schoonmaker
03-20-2005, 04:13 PM
EVERYBODY has a "stupid switch." We all do dumb things.

Phil Helmuth admitted in print that he once lost $27,000 by calling with nothing because he did not check his cards. He thought he had the nut flush, but the ace was diamonds, not hearts. I've misread TWO situations so badly that I capped on the turn with one out (and hit it TWICE). A few years ago the final table at the WSOP championship stopped for 2-3 minutes while they waited for a player to act. He suddenly realized that he had forgotten to fold.

You will ALWAYS have a stuppid switch. Just learn to check it from time to time to be sure it's in the OFF position.

Regards,

Al

Goodnews
03-21-2005, 02:23 AM
Heres the thing,

when the stupid switch is on, the filter brom my brain to mouth is off.

PassiveCaller
03-21-2005, 03:00 AM
It's learning to put the stupid switch on the off position that's key or at least flipping it back off quickly!

It's part of the whole learning process as a player and a person though to learn to do that in poker and in life.

jedi
03-21-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A few years ago the final table at the WSOP championship stopped for 2-3 minutes while they waited for a player to act. He suddenly realized that he had forgotten to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't believe he went on to win.

riffraff
03-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Yeah I remember that.. was pretty funny but ultimately got Hellmuth broke when HIS stupid switch went on (he described it in a similar way) and his QT lost to QJ. I wonder if the long delay of the amateur player (who everyone was waiting on) screwed up Phil's decision process. I do know that Phil played one of his best ever tournies before that mistake, making a great fold of KK to AA pre-flop.