PDA

View Full Version : Allin over allin

betgo
03-20-2005, 01:47 PM
$120 tournament at Taj. Everyone starts with T5000. Blinds 150/300 with 50 ante. I have 99 in BB with T2700 before posting.

UTG limps. 2nd position pushes for T1200. 4th position and 6th position both call. My read on the pusher and the 2 callers is that they are loose fish.

I decided that it was unlikely that anyone had a bigger pair. I said I'm allin. The limper folded and the 2 callers of the first allin called. The flop and turn were all low cards and the two callers checked it down, not looking too happy. I thought I was in good shape. The river was a jack and one of the callers pushed his last 1300 in, so I knew was out of there. The other caller folded and he turned over JTo. The short stack allin had K5o.

As I left, I said I think I played it right. A strong player with a big stack agreed. The guy who won the hand with JTo said that he hadn't played it right and that he had called the initial push and got pot committed.

Obviously calling the push in mid position without a strong hand is a terrible play. The UTG limper was representing a decent hand and was pretty sure to call. Why get involved? I don't think he woould have called a nonallin raise with JTo. Something about that allin gets people to call. I think he felt safe that the pusher couldn't bet anymore and other callers would check it down. He probably correctly figured the pusher didn't have much of a hand, but K5o was ahead of JTo and there were plenty of players left to act who might have hands.

Obviously, the push with K5o was bad. He was going to be atleast called by the limper and there were a lot players left to act.

I could have flat called instead of pushing, in which case the limper would have probably called. I could have then pushed on most flops, essentially playing a stop and go against 3 players plus the short stack allin.

That approach might have worked better in this case, as I might have gotten JTo to fold.

As it was, I was betting 2400 to win 7000, so pushing was definately better than folding. I thought I might have a chance to get one of the callers to fold. If I had a few more chips, the push would have been even better, as I might have been able to get one or both callers to fold.