PDA

View Full Version : Check cashing question - Please help (not poker related)

mason55
03-20-2005, 01:28 AM
Ok, so I don't have a bank account (god damn the banks talking to each other) at the moment until I repay certain banks for drawing some NSF checks. Anyways, I got my first paycheck and I need to cash it so I can go blow all the money in Miami. Do banks cash paychecks for a fee if you don't have an account? I'll pay $20 or whatever to cash it. It's drawn against BoA and there's tons of them around here, will they cash it for free (for some reason I have a thought in my head that they will). Anyone know how to do this?? I looked for check cashing services but they're all payday advances IE loans, which I don't need.

jason_t
03-20-2005, 01:34 AM
I have cashed Bank of America checks at their branches without paying a fee.

nothumb
03-20-2005, 01:35 AM
BoA will cash their own payroll checks with no fee.

NT

mason55
03-20-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have cashed Bank of America checks at their branches without paying a fee.

[/ QUOTE ]

That answer is the nuts. Thank you.

mason55
03-20-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
BoA will cash their own payroll checks with no fee.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet, a second opinion, Muchas Gracias.

LethalRose
03-20-2005, 01:39 AM
Another option are grocery stores. Krogers in my area will cash any personal check for like $15, its nice for when the bank is closed.

mason55
03-20-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Another option are grocery stores. Krogers in my area will cash any personal check for like $15, its nice for when the bank is closed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is more than a personal check, this is a payroll check that is for a pretty decent amount. I just wish a bank was open on sunday.

LethalRose
03-20-2005, 01:52 AM
a payroll check is pretty much a personal check. it is made out to your name right?

nothumb
03-20-2005, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a payroll check is pretty much a personal check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

A lot of places will cash payroll checks (Price Chopper does it for a small fee) but most do not do personal checks, or seriously limit the ammount, and often only let you cash one of your own checks. Cashing payroll checks is way easier, esp. in cities.

NT

LethalRose
03-20-2005, 01:58 AM
ok so, is it fair to say if a grocery store will cash a personal check it will cash a payroll check?

mason55
03-20-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a payroll check is pretty much a personal check. it is made out to your name right?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's made out to me but yes, NT is right, payroll is WAY different from personal. Anyways, I can get it cashed at BoA apparently. This thread made me very happy I thought I was going to have to pay like 10% at a check cashing place.

nothumb
03-20-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ok so, is it fair to say if a grocery store will cash a personal check it will cash a payroll check?

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually if you have one of the rewards cards, yeah. Almost any grocery will cash payroll checks at the customer service desk for $1 or so if you are a member of the evil consumer tracking scam known as rewards cards.

NT

bdk3clash
03-20-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's made out to me but yes, NT is right, payroll is WAY different from personal. Anyways, I can get it cashed at BoA apparently. This thread made me very happy I thought I was going to have to pay like 10% at a check cashing place.

[/ QUOTE ]
Most check-cashing places fees are nowhere near this high.

mason55
03-20-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Most check-cashing places fees are nowhere near this high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha this shows how ignorant I am. I've learned a lot from this thread. I thought the financial industry was a lot more evil than it is. I have a Wegman's card so apparently I have multiple options.

Bukem_
03-20-2005, 02:29 AM
The reason you can't get a bank account is most likely that you closed an account that was overdrawn. THen the bank reports that to Paychex, and they basically blacklist you from opening an account for a period of time, I forget how long.

This happens to people with good credit scores and plenty of money who make this mistake, and it's close to impossible to fix.

%90 of banks use paychex, find a small local bank that doesn't and you can open an account.

Banks will cash checks that are drawn on them as long as their is money in the account. They won't charge you for this, though some bankers will take their time.