PDA

View Full Version : Figuring out quick odds

NumbersGame
03-20-2005, 01:12 AM
I can say that I am a medicore player. I have won about 6 MTT tourneys and placed many other times (online) but I do think that my game can be much better. I want to tackle one aspect of my game that I think i can approve immediately..odds. I just got back from Commerce and I got ripped off on a starting hands package (what do you expect for $15)...My question is if I can place a range of hands on my oppenent (preflop) how do i figure out what my chances are??? thanks for your help on this matter and for other postings i have read.

NumbersGame
03-20-2005, 12:59 PM
I am surprsised with all the smart people here that no one has (or maybe one wants to share) this information. I mean if I have KQs and I can reasonably place my oppenent on middle pair (10-7) what are the odds. If somebody can direct me to right website or book(s)..that would be great!!!! Again thanks for the help now and the future by readng the posts.

RandomUser
03-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Not sure if this sight has an odds calculator, but this is the one I use.

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_odds/texas_holdem.php#

It lets you enter the cards in and it will show you the percentages.

blingice
03-20-2005, 08:07 PM
Wow you're impatient.

Anyway, calculate what you need to beat that person in the way of pairs, so KQ vs. 88 etc, you would have 6 likely outs. You KNOW 2 of the 52 cards, so divide 6/50= .12. You can get an estimate by multiplying that by 4. My calc gives me about 45%, so it is pretty good.

3% more for suited cards.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bling.

Cobra
03-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Here is some general guides. With winning percentage for the higher hand.

Higher pair vs. Lower Pair - 81%

Higher pair vs. Two undercards - 80%

Lower pair vs. two overcards - 51-56% depending on wether the overcards are suited and how close they are to pair.

Pair vs. split cards ie.(JJ vs. AT) - 67-70%

Two overcards vs. two undercards - 59-62%

Split cards ie. (A9 vs QJ) - 55-57%

In between ie. (A9 vs Q8) - 62%

Cobra

sonicblue
03-21-2005, 12:24 AM
http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/?a_id=13913

This is a good article on pot odds...

NumbersGame
03-21-2005, 12:59 AM
I would like to thank you all for contributing..it has made my life easier. Wish you all good luck.