PDA

View Full Version : PokerBob vs. 8 retards....Play Along

PokerBob
03-20-2005, 01:05 AM
Canterbury Park 4/8. Greatest table ever. Loose, passive and stunningly retarded. I felt like Nicholson in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", where Devito keeps breaking cigarettes in half and saying "I bet a nickel."

Anyway, here we go. BB in this hand is absurdly passive. I have yet to see him raise, and he's had AA and KK several times. UTG+1 is big, fat and on the mother of all heaters. He has $600+ in front of him. He is not afraid to bluff at a paired flop. He plays any 2 cards that are the same color.

PBob is on the button with 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif
4 dumdums limp. PBob calls.

7 to the frop for 7 SB. 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, BB bets, UTG folds, UTG+1 raises, folds to PBob who......?????

jclin
03-20-2005, 01:07 AM
....sits back and rakes in the money.

Michael Davis
03-20-2005, 01:26 AM
Just because the BB has you beat doesn't mean you should have folded this hand.

-Michael

Bremen
03-20-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
BB in this hand is absurdly passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the read I'm calling down, and UTG is sweetening the pot as well, so that helps.

PokerBob
03-20-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Canterbury Park 4/8. Greatest table ever. Loose, passive and stunningly retarded. I felt like Nicholson in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", where Devito keeps breaking cigarettes in half and saying "I bet a nickel."

Anyway, here we go. BB in this hand is absurdly passive. I have yet to see him raise, and he's had AA and KK several times. UTG+1 is big, fat and on the mother of all heaters. He has $600+ in front of him. He is not afraid to bluff at a paired flop. He plays any 2 cards that are the same color.

PBob is on the button with 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif

7 to the frop for 7 SB. 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

...I called. BB called.

Turn (3 players) (5BB) K /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB bets. UTG+1 calls, hero......

bugstud
03-20-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...I called. BB called.

[/ QUOTE ]

so it's 96 or 66 assumedly, call and see it

I've seen uber passive types bluff with 3 high before though, just as a fair warning

PokerBob
03-20-2005, 03:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...I called. BB called.

[/ QUOTE ]

I called.

River: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB bets, UTG+1 folds, PBob.............

SA125
03-20-2005, 04:08 AM
Tough decision here Bob. Nothing like flopping trips and having 1 retard bet and another retard raise into you to put you between a rock and a hard place.

SackUp
03-20-2005, 05:59 AM
I would be tempted to 3 bet the flop for 2 reasons.

1) To see how strong the bb really thinks his hand is. Does he cap? Or does he call and then bet out? The old stop and go.

2) Also this will make sure you get more money out of the idiot raiser. He will likely call the 3 bet as he already has so much invested so you ensure you get money out of him when you can as he very well may fold the turn if he has the same read on BB or has a read on you.

If you are calling, then I am doing so in order to trap a bet on the turn.

I'm raising this turn if BB leads out and idiot calls. You likely have the idiot crushed so make him pay more bets if he wants more cards. Now the BB is either holding 66 or 9x according to your read. Even if he has 66 you still have 7 outs on the river to take him down. Now if he has 9x you do have the 10 kicker which is going to be ahead of his 9x more often than not given teh strength of your kicker and the fact he was in the BB so 9 x(lower than 10) is very likely.

If he bets out again on the river then I just call and if you are really scared then you can check the river with the 2 coming, but I think you still might be ahead.

TStoneMBD
03-20-2005, 09:07 AM
bob.... raise the turn. raise the river.

flair1239
03-20-2005, 11:02 AM
I have read all the posts up to this point.

My line is this. You have already labled all the players retards. I think sometimes against exceptionally bad players, you have to read further than passive or aggressive. When you have a stronger than average hand.

Bad players passive and aggressive often have the same common failing. They overvalue their stronger hands in marginal situation, and they undervalue their marginal hands in situations that are favorable to that hand. Note: this applies in degrees, in a moderately bad player it is as applicable, but againstg complete retards such as those that inhabit the small stakes tables at Canterbury Park, it is applicable.

With that in mind I would not be so quick to go calling station on this one. I would raise the flop and the raise would be for value. There are so many hands, even ones with a 9 in them that you would beat. Also Trips is one of those hands that bad players really overvalue. It never occurs to them that their kicker could get them in trouble.

After your flop raise, if he showed continued aggression, then I would slowdown. But I think you are ahead here more times than not, and I think it is a mistake not to get more money in on the flop.

Bremen
03-20-2005, 11:49 PM
Ok, been thinking about this all day. Since uber-passive was the BB we don't need to worry about VPIP. All hands he will bet are equally likely. Also lets assume he will play all hands with a 9 in the same way (as a previous poster mentioned many weak players do not value the strength of their hand correctly, they say I have trips!). On the flop you are ahead of 24 combinations of 9 with a lower kicker, and behind 22 combinations of 9 better kicker or 66. Or you have about a 52% pot equity (if we count T9 diamonds its even closer)

For practical purposes you are splitting. Therefore most of your profit will come from the extra bets UTG contributes to the pot. In that light I would raise the flop, since he's unlikely to fold for one more SB, and you can't be certain he'll call a BB on the turn. Of course when he calls the turn raise again.

Also be weary of jamming your small edge over the BB. Those times he has an unbeatable hand ie pairs his kicker with no higher boat possible he may reraise you!

PokerBob
03-20-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...I called. BB called.

[/ QUOTE ]

I called, as I feared any aggression by me would run them off.

River: 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
BB bets, UTG folds, hero.......

sthief09
03-21-2005, 12:01 AM
raise it up preflop. I like the rest against this guy. you're probably beat but as MD says, you can't fold

PokerBob
03-21-2005, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...I called. BB called.

[/ QUOTE ]

I called, as I feared any aggression by me would run them off.

River: 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
BB bets, UTG folds, hero.......

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot I updated this post. The river was a brick. BB bet, I thought and called. He flipped over KK for the turned 2-outer. And the -40BB night rolled on.