PDA

View Full Version : genius or chip spewing?

kurosh
03-19-2005, 09:11 PM
Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.66 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.33 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font> (planning to fold to a raise), MP1 calls.

River: (8.33 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font> planning to fold to a raise.

Villain is about 30/10/1.2

TheBusiness
03-19-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.66 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.33 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font> (planning to fold to a raise), MP1 calls.

River: (8.33 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font> planning to fold to a raise.

Villain is about 30/10/1.2

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the flop cap because it smells like you're up against an overpair when the preflop raiser 3-bets against a checkraise on that board. I might even consider folding this on the flop to the 3-bet since you have no flush redraw if you are behind. But given the situation, I think checking the turn makes your river bet (which I like) a lot more credible because it makes it look like you are drawing.

kurosh
03-19-2005, 09:31 PM
People 3-bet with all kinds of crap in position.

CaliStyle
03-19-2005, 09:38 PM
This is one of those times where you might be able to get tricky. I like betting the flop and then calling your opponents raise. Decide before hand that if any diamond comes you bet. So check call the turn with possibly the best hand. You going to call or bet the river anyways so If a diamond comes bet and fold to a raise and if a blank comes you might check call here. I don't know if you want to three bet the flop.

Brom
03-19-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't like the flop cap because it smells like you're up against an overpair when the preflop raiser 3-bets against a checkraise on that board. I might even consider folding this on the flop to the 3-bet since you have no flush redraw if you are behind. But given the situation, I think checking the turn makes your river bet (which I like) a lot more credible because it makes it look like you are drawing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that Villain could be capping with a whole lot of hands that Hero is ahead of here. Two overcards with a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, or maybe a lower pocket pair with a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in there.

If this is the case then it is Hero's job to make Villain pay for his draw or put a lot of pressure on him to possibly make him fold. The fact that Villain just called on the turn makes me think he has a hand more like A/images/graemlins/spade.gifK/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I like the flop cap because the Villain may have 3 bet looking to take a free card on the turn. An AF of 1.2 is somewhat passive and he may very well be looking for the free river play when he 3 bets. I think the lead on the turn is OK too (with Hero's planned line). Obviously only better hands will raise this turn (from this type of opponent). The fact that it wasn't raised suggest that the Hero is indeed ahead IMO.

I don't particularily like the river bet however. What better hand is folding here? An overpair that made it this far would certainly call for one more bet. AJ would probably call, any hand with a Q has a straight. A pocket pair 77-JJ is calling. A pocket pair 22-66 that contains a diamond is more than likely calling this river too (although I doubt Villain has one of these low pairs).

There aren't many worse hands around to call Hero either, AT maybe? Or a pocket pair 22-66 without a diamond that somehow made it this far? Any two face cards pretty much have Hero beat, except for another KJ without the K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I think I'd rather check this river and hope Villain checks behind and Hero is somehow good, or maybe Hero can induce a bluff.

TStoneMBD
03-19-2005, 09:54 PM
shouldnt this be folded preflop? im a very liberal blind defender, but i dont like this one.

CaliStyle
03-19-2005, 09:56 PM
It is not neccesarrily true in many cases that the preflop raiser is going to raise on the turn with the best hand if you bet into them again. Many players will bet a small flush, call a raise and then bet the flush again on the turn planning to three bet to a raise. Many people with a overpair will call here on the turn when you bet and if they are good will bet the river if they think they have you beat when you check. If this is a tight player you can even make an arguement for dumping your hand preflop.

Brom
03-19-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If this is a tight player you can even make an arguement for dumping your hand preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.