PDA

View Full Version : all in every hand

elmitchbo
03-19-2005, 09:04 PM
i just played a tourney where a guy was going all-in every hand. i mean every hand, for at least 15 in a row before he busted me and most of the table. it was uncanny.... it almost made me paranoid. i was acting right after him, so i could stay out of the way. usually he would just take the blinds and an occasional limp. but when someone did have a hand to call with he still won. he broke KK with 95o by making a set of 5's. i called him with QQ, he showed AJo and hit his ace. the one time he did loose it was to a small stack that he had covered.

two thoughts... first, is it reasonable to be paranoid that something fishy was happeneing? it's rare that i feel that way, but tonight i did. nah... must of just been luck that would eventually run dry, right?

second, obviously this guy was taking aggression to a ridiculous extreme, but it was working. is this evidence that aggression is really the secret to winning? after watching for awhile i started to think that i would rather play more like the maniac than the rock.

mosquito
03-19-2005, 09:35 PM
I was trying to bust out of a freeroll one time,
so I could get some sleep. Went all-in 12 hands in
a row, and about 35 out of 40 trying to bust out.

Didn't go bust till I had an AA.........

gmandan
03-20-2005, 05:26 AM
Could have been me. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Sometimes I get bored and play a free roll going all in only on bad hands. I've done so "well" once that I've gotten about 20,000 chips after a few hands on Party's.

reubenf
03-20-2005, 06:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Could have been me. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Sometimes I get bored and play a free roll going all in only on bad hands. I've done so "well" once that I've gotten about 20,000 chips after a few hands on Party's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going all-in on every hand until you amass a chip lead is of course a perfectly legitimate freeroll strategy.

The_Bends
03-20-2005, 02:39 PM
I usually go all in first hand of freerolls, if I win fine its worth playing the thing. If I don't I haven't wasted any time.

trying2learn
03-20-2005, 02:46 PM
i sat in a $5 s&g where someone did this two years ago when i first started playing. since then, when i get bored or drunk i've been known to go back and "copycat" for kicks because i remember having much the same reaction as you...and i like being on the other end of it. fwiw, out of the 7 times i've gone with this strategy, i've absolutely run over two tables doing this...and gone out first the other five times over the last 6 months or so. not as bad as one might think...and some of the reactions have been priceless. there's probably an interesting experiment in there somewhere.

PokerFink
03-20-2005, 04:30 PM
There are times in a tournament where going all-in a lot, or just playing hyper-aggressive (ie PFR 90% or more) can be a good strategy. If everyone else is playing extremely passive, why not? Right before the bubble is a good time. At the end of the day in a multi-day event is another. I remember reading that at the end of the second day (I think) of the WSOP this year, Julian Gardner had taken nearly every single T100 ante chip on the table by PFR every time.

Then there is James Souza (sp?) who did this at the final table in the 'Thunder' Keller episode, going all-in like seven times in a row to get the chip lead. It's dangerous, but at the right time, it can work.

Valhalla1
03-25-2005, 05:19 AM
here's a screenshot of a SnG on Pacific Poker I played a while back... mr "all in" was doing this 'strategy'

worked enough to bust me out with top 2 pair Kings and 10's, he drew out for his second straight in a row

http://ntworks.org/unreal.png

tek
03-25-2005, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Then there is James Souza (sp?) who did this at the final table in the 'Thunder' Keller episode, going all-in like seven times in a row to get the chip lead. It's dangerous, but at the right time, it can work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see that in person or did you watch it on tv? There is a difference...

tek
03-25-2005, 08:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If everyone else is playing extremely passive, why not? Right before the bubble is a good time. At the end of the day in a multi-day event is another.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before the blinds go up is a good time to steal too. Maybe not all in, but at least push.

EasilyFound
03-25-2005, 08:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If everyone else is playing extremely passive, why not? Right before the bubble is a good time. At the end of the day in a multi-day event is another.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before the blinds go up is a good time to steal too. Maybe not all in, but at least push.

[/ QUOTE ]

As you use the terms, what is the difference between all-in and push?

tek
03-25-2005, 01:25 PM
I meant push as in a big bet to make them fold, but not all in.

Zetack
03-25-2005, 03:43 PM
I was in MTT a while back and a guy took a bad beat and went completely on tilt and just started pushing all-in every hand. And he lasted for about 40 minutes. He didn't win every hand but when he lost he always had more chips than the winner. Some times people folded PF. Sometimes he had the best hand...and often he just completely sucked out. I think he won with dominated Aces at least three times and beat AA with junk at least once and won with the worst starting hand a ton of times. It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen at a poker table.

--Zetack

PktAcesSoWht
03-25-2005, 10:02 PM
I have used this strategy when my worked called and needed me to do something after I was already in a tournament. It was very successive especially after you have won a few hands in a row doing it. People get scared and are afraid to play anything out of fear you are going all in. It is an amazing feeling when it is working and you build up a lead, even when you lose you have so many more chips than the poor sucker that called you that you just keep on chugging.