PDA

View Full Version : Bar room gambling

Kovner
03-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Anyone here gamble (more than casually) on darts or Golden Tee? I've heard both of these games are gambled on a lot in bars, and I enjoy both of them. I'm thinking about getting some practice in one or both of them, finding out where the places in town are to gamble on these and trying to make money. Seems like bars are good places to make money because staying sober gives you an easy edge. Only problem is that I don't have too much practice at either of these games.

Is it possible to make a semi-significant amount of money at these games or is that only for experts of each? How much practice is neccesary to become a winning player at these games? Any other advice concerning either of these games is appreciated.

Alex/Mugaaz
03-20-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone here gamble (more than casually) on darts or Golden Tee? I've heard both of these games are gambled on a lot in bars, and I enjoy both of them. I'm thinking about getting some practice in one or both of them, finding out where the places in town are to gamble on these and trying to make money. Seems like bars are good places to make money because staying sober gives you an easy edge. Only problem is that I don't have too much practice at either of these games.

Is it possible to make a semi-significant amount of money at these games or is that only for experts of each? How much practice is neccesary to become a winning player at these games? Any other advice concerning either of these games is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can people play Golden Tee? Tiger Woods 200x is so much better.

The top scores are pretty much the same though. I was a serious TW player. If you're asking what kind of skill levels are out there. Once you no longer par anything it becomes a lot harder to get better. In tiger the putting is based on easy math formulas and you can easily determine it 99.9% of the time.

All skill comes from how good you approach and chip. My average score was -23/-24 in TW. There were some players who had -24/-25, to (supposedly) -26/-27.

I don't think anyone has been able to crack 40/72 without cheating, or possibly getting absurd luck.

The problem with gambling on video games is that is so obvious who has the best of it.

I think it could be fun, and that you could drink free at a bar. Make survivable income? No.

Kovner
03-20-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The top scores are pretty much the same though. I was a serious TW player. If you're asking what kind of skill levels are out there. Once you no longer par anything it becomes a lot harder to get better. In tiger the putting is based on easy math formulas and you can easily determine it 99.9% of the time.

All skill comes from how good you approach and chip. My average score was -23/-24 in TW. There were some players who had -24/-25, to (supposedly) -26/-27.

I don't think anyone has been able to crack 40/72 without cheating, or possibly getting absurd luck.

The problem with gambling on video games is that is so obvious who has the best of it.

I think it could be fun, and that you could drink free at a bar. Make survivable income? No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone see True Life: I'm a Gamer a few years ago? One of the guys they followed was a professional Golden Tee player. He won the world championship and hustled in bars and said he made around 60k/yr. Obviously I don't expect to become the best in the world and I don't expect it to be possible for the average player to make any significant money, but I was just wondering if it could become a small source of extra income and a big source of extra fun.

How can putting become a precise mathematical formula? Even if you figure out where and how hard to hit the ball, you still have to use the trackball and that cannot be a precise process, right?

Alex/Mugaaz
03-20-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone see True Life: I'm a Gamer a few years ago? One of the guys they followed was a professional Golden Tee player. He won the world championship and hustled in bars and said he made around 60k/yr. Obviously I don't expect to become the best in the world and I don't expect it to be possible for the average player to make any significant money, but I was just wondering if it could become a small source of extra income and a big source of extra fun.

How can putting become a precise mathematical formula? Even if you figure out where and how hard to hit the ball, you still have to use the trackball and that cannot be a precise process, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Becuase TigerWoods swing system is analog based. It's virtually impossible to misshit a putt. It just never happens, ever. It's straight back and forward. Then it gave you the length of the put, the curvature left/right & Up/down. It's was insanely easy.

No I've never seen it, that's by MTV right? I rest my case.
If you want to make money playing Video Games check out some of the leagues running. Some of them do offer serious money.

bogey
03-20-2005, 08:48 PM
people who are willing to play darts in bars for money are usually frickin good

SNOWBALL138
03-20-2005, 11:16 PM
Dude. Learn how to shoot pool. People S U C K at pool. If you get good enough you can always play well enough to win but not well enough to make it obvious that they have no chance.

Kovner
03-21-2005, 05:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude. Learn how to shoot pool. People S U C K at pool. If you get good enough you can always play well enough to win but not well enough to make it obvious that they have no chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its always seemed to me that good players need to spend ALOT of time practicing to become good enoughto be a long time winner. I'm not good, but I do enjoy the game. It just seems the skills the top players have must have been developed over decades.
Besides, I'm not just looking for any game to make money on, I'm particularly interested in darts and golden tee because I find those game particularly fun.

TripleH68
03-21-2005, 06:13 AM
Barroom brawls are very -EV...unless you are large and crazy.

wickedgoodtrader
03-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Pool is the best game to gamble on.. don't even have to be good.. just better then the other drunk. Or you can just end up gettin guys from the bar to go play a game of poker.