PDA

View Full Version : when is it appropriate to tip people?

TStoneMBD
03-19-2005, 08:29 PM
i try to be a fairly generous tipper with most things, if it only takes a couple bucks to turn a decent tip into a generous one i do it, because a couple of bucks means nothing to me. sometimes i feel compelled to tip people that dont work for tips, but get paid crappy salaries, but i feel that i might be insulting them for throwing them a buck or two. is it appropriate to tip people like gasoline attendants, cashiers, toll booth operators, ups delivery guys, blockbuster employees, etc?

if say, i wanted to throw somebody a buck each time i used their services, but feel like i would insult them, should i wait every 5-10 sessions before tipping, and tip $5-$10 each time instead? the EV of the average employee would be the same, but the variance would be larger. the advertising purposes of tipping $5 instead of $1 would probably be much better for my metagame as well. :P

istewart
03-19-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is it appropriate to tip people like gasoline attendants, cashiers, toll booth operators, ups delivery guys, blockbuster employees, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of these, I only occasionally tip delivery guys.

IggyWH
03-19-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is it appropriate to tip people like gasoline attendants, cashiers, toll booth operators, ups delivery guys, blockbuster employees, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Gas station workers - Yes

I used to work at one and it was always a very bright spot in the day when someone would tip us. It's not something we asked for or expected, but it was a nice gesture

Cashiers - No

I have worked at several cashier jobs. Tipping is not good because the cashier would have to put the tip in his/her pocket. This would look EXTREMELY shady on video if it was seen.

Toll booth operators - No

You have no clue how well these people are actually paid... and with full benefits.

UPS delivery guys - No

These guys get paid very well also. Since there's no money exchanged for service with them directly, it would be quite odd. I'd go for a thoughtful gift if you wanted to give them something

Blockbuster employees - Maybe

I guess it depends on how you feel but I wouldn't. It would seem odd to get a tip if I worked at BB unless I maybe helped someone with a selection or gave them some special attention.

mgsimpleton
03-19-2005, 09:45 PM
if a delivery guy brings something heavy into my house and up the stairs i definitely tip him generously. i feel like picking a select few services and tipping them generously works out in the long run too...

BradleyT
03-19-2005, 09:51 PM
I agree. Anywhere where an employee works near a cash register - putting money in their pocket is a pretty big no-no.

And UPS drivers make over $40,000 a year.

willie
03-19-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of these, I only occasionally tip delivery guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

that sucks, tip them.

i only tip jobs that are tip oriented. bar tenders, waitresses, delivery boys, dealers.

the other people receieve a full wage for the most part, and those few dollars mean more to me than to you apparently Tstone, if i was loaded- i might be more giving.

JaBlue
03-19-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i try to be a fairly generous tipper with most things, if it only takes a couple bucks to turn a decent tip into a generous one i do it, because a couple of bucks means nothing to me. sometimes i feel compelled to tip people that dont work for tips, but get paid crappy salaries, but i feel that i might be insulting them for throwing them a buck or two. is it appropriate to tip people like gasoline attendants, cashiers, toll booth operators, ups delivery guys, blockbuster employees, etc?

if say, i wanted to throw somebody a buck each time i used their services, but feel like i would insult them, should i wait every 5-10 sessions before tipping, and tip $5-$10 each time instead? the EV of the average employee would be the same, but the variance would be larger. the advertising purposes of tipping $5 instead of $1 would probably be much better for my metagame as well. :P

[/ QUOTE ]

On a similar note, why do people (like myself) tip the pizza delivery man but not the UPS guy?

tbach24
03-19-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On a similar note, why do people (like myself) tip the pizza delivery man but not the UPS guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there's no exchange of money between you and the UPS guy. Also, the UPS guy gets paid more.

Voltron87
03-19-2005, 11:07 PM
It's hard to say exactly which professions I tip, but when someone does a good job or pays attention to me as a customer I will tip them. Tipping should be a payment for services above and beyond what's normal. If a delivery man is delivering me a heavy package and leaves it with me in the lobby of my apartment building, no tip. If he helps me carry it, tip. If the porter at the hotel handles my luggage quickly and pays attention to me... tip. See?

JaBlue
03-19-2005, 11:14 PM
If a waitress isn't especially kind to you you won't tip her?

Voltron87
03-19-2005, 11:23 PM

In my post I didn't differentiate between professions to which I always tip something to and professions where a tip is not guaranteed. Waitresses, deliverymen, etc, are guaranteed a tip. If they do a good job they get more than the minimum. In professions where tips do not constitute the bulk of the pay it is more a bonus system.

So no, I don't go around not tipping waitresses.

TStoneMBD
03-19-2005, 11:24 PM
i will leave lousy tips for lousy service. i sometimes feel like stiffing on the tip but feel like shell think im a jerk or something, so ill tip a dollar as an insult.

SmileyEH
03-20-2005, 12:28 AM
I'm of the philosophy that tipping big when a job is done well is good, and tipping [censored] when a job is done poorly is good.

I was a pizza delivery boy for about a year...when an order is 45mins late and is [censored] up I don't expect nor want a tip, but when a regular gets his/her order ahead of time etc. etc. it feels really good when you are rewarded. The people that tip a buck no matter what the service was kind of fade into the background, but I'll always remember the guy that tipped $15 on a $10 pizza because we stayed open late to serve him at 2am just after he got off his 12 hour shift. I assume it meant a lot to him and he made it mean a lot to me.

-SmileyEH

LethalRose
03-20-2005, 02:12 AM
Well, as a blockbuster manager people offer to tip me quite a bit. ranging from 1-20 bucks. I see it as somewhat of an insult, implying i need the money or I live in a van down by the river.. If you are a regular at the store and you often ask 1 person for advice on a movie, then its ok.

an example of this is a guy who comes in all the time..his wife recently got season 8 of friends from a friend for her bday. well she already owned this, so he came in an asked me if i could do him a favor and exchange it for season 9. I knew i should not have done it, and he knew i shouldnt of either, but he is a regular and more importantly a nice guy and his wife is cool too, so i did it without hesitating. He came in today and mentioned how paradisaical his wife was and offered to give me $20, I took it without hesitating.

when a complete stranger offers to give me a little money for helping him/her with a routine problem, i dont like it..

with an occupation where tips make up like 0 percent of a persons income (like mine), the best way to tip me is to be polite, intelligent, and get out of my store without messing anything up, and keep your kids under control.