PDA

View Full Version : Need help with XBOX Live

pshreck
03-19-2005, 07:42 PM
My xbox is not detecting a connection from my modem.

I 'power cycled' the modem for about 15 minutes (it said 5-10 but some modems need more).

The modem clearly detects the xbox, all green and orange lights are active. Still, the xbox just does not detect a connection.

Also, I use cox communications for my cable.

Anyone had any trouble with xbox live and know what to do?

istewart
03-19-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I use cox communications for my cable.

[/ QUOTE ]

AngryCola
03-19-2005, 07:52 PM
I use Cox for my Live!, and have never had any problems.

You may have to get more specific about some of your connection settings.

Oh, and try this in case you haven't.

Make sure all the cords are plugged into the xbox/cable modem before you do a power cycle. Also, you only need to leave the modem off for about 30 seconds to a minute for this type of thing.

pshreck
03-19-2005, 07:57 PM
The thing they keep emphasizing online is you need an ethernet cable with RJ45 connectors...

do all ethernet cables have this? My cable is kind of old, but I assume if it works for my pc and modem, it should work for my xbox.

The thing is, it doesnt really 'click in' to the xbox opening. It fits and goes in fine, but I wonder if this is the problem.

AngryCola
03-19-2005, 08:00 PM
I added something to my previous post.

Secondly, it should definitely click. But it really should be the same type of connector the cable modem accepts.
It's pretty standard.

Try reversing the cord or buying a new one altogether.
It sould only run you about $14.

pshreck
03-19-2005, 08:07 PM
Im gonna run over to best buy and pick up another ethernet cable, although this one works fine for my modem to computer... so I have no idea if this will help.

Ugh this is annoying, been trying to get it to work for like 3 hours.

AngryCola
03-19-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im gonna run over to best buy and pick up another ethernet cable, although this one works fine for my modem to computer... so I have no idea if this will help.

Ugh this is annoying, been trying to get it to work for like 3 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I hope that works. If it doesn't, I'm sure one of us here or someone with Xbox Live! support can help.