PDA

View Full Version : Very tricky Final table satellite hand

AtticusFinch
03-19-2005, 07:32 PM
Sitting on the BB with 3800 chips in Full Tilt satellite. We're 5-handed, and the top 4 get an entry chip. Table had generally been pretty tight except for the two enormous stacks, both of which fold. The blind is 1000 with 150 ante, so Hero has 2650 left after posting. 76 of diamonds dealt. The button is the short stack with 3150, who calls, leaving him with 2k left. The sb, with a 9k stack, completes. Hero checks.

Flop comes down 467, 2 clubs and a heart. The sb checks. Hero?

Note: Think carefully about the structure and the stacks of the villains before answering.

P.S.: I'm convinved that I blew it. Let's see what you think.

MLG
03-19-2005, 07:40 PM
This is a great hand. You absolutely need to check here. If you push to protect your hand, you dont have enough to push them off a possible draw anyway. So, if SB decides to end it now he would be right to gamble and call you with a flush/straight draw. By checking you can tempt the small stacked button to push to pick up the chips. If he does, its an easy call for you. If he doesnt, then push the turn if a non scary card comes.

nsj
03-19-2005, 07:50 PM
What MLG said....

There's 3700 in the pot and you really want the button in, which is most likely to happen if it's checked to him and he has two overs, a club draw/gutshot like A8, or anything that has any reasonable piece of the board.

And then it's an easy call.

AtticusFinch
03-20-2005, 03:59 PM
I agree with you guys that it's right to check, but you're missing the essential detail that Adanthar informed me of shortly afterwards. Can you see it?

At the table I pushed, loving my hand but disliking all the draws out there, and disaster ensued, as the short stack folded and the big stack called and showed down his made straight. (Yep, he completed with 58).

Had I checked and the small blind gone in with me, then I still would have gotten my entry even though I lost to the big stack, so long as I could beat the short stack.

If I'd have taken the time to think about it for a few seconds, instead of pushing gleefully like I did, I might have noticed this and done the right thing.

So the moral: never be in too much of a hurry. Now if I could only follow my own advice.

Thanks for the comments.