PDA

View Full Version : Nowell vs. Kiedis vs. Cuomo

dr. klopek
03-19-2005, 06:12 PM

istewart
03-19-2005, 06:14 PM
I think it's Kiedis for both singer/lyricist. Best band I could go either way between RHCP/Weezer.

dr. klopek
03-19-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's Kiedis for both singer/lyricist. Best band I could go either way between RHCP/Weezer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think nowell wins for singer, hands down. Lyricist, tough, I think there are really good arguments for all 3, but I'm gonna go with cuomo, or wait, kiedis....I don't know. RHCP is the best band though.

Ianco15
03-19-2005, 06:21 PM
Kiedis is the best singer.
Nowell is the best lyricist and its not even close.
Red Hot is the best band but its close with Sublime.

Weezer blows.

bort411
03-19-2005, 06:23 PM
Anyone else think that Anthony Keidis fakes his lisp?

slickpoppa
03-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Kiedis' cameo in "Point Break" was pure brilliance

Tyler Durden
03-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Bradley Nowell is the best lyricist by far. And Sublime is the best band. Their self-titled CD is fukking great.

Matty
03-19-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bradley Nowell is the best lyricist by far. And Sublime is the best band. Their self-titled CD is fukking great.

[/ QUOTE ]You and I appear to be in a small minority...

I've got tails.

mason55
03-19-2005, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
SAT Analogy

40 oz to freedom:Self Titled Album as Alizee:Chelsea Clinton

BusterStacks
03-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Sublime is good but so overrated it's rediculous.

istewart
03-19-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sublime is good but so overrated it's rediculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brock Landers
03-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Sublime was awesome. In my opinion, had Bradley not died, they would have become one of the top 3 acts in rock. Nowell was one of very few modern singers that truly sang from his soul. I love the RHCPs, but all of you have to admit that Kiedis's live vocal performances are very sketchy.

JaBlue
03-19-2005, 10:27 PM
Anybody who voted for Weezer on any of these three polls is wrong.

JaBlue
03-19-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nowell was one of very few modern singers that truly sang from his soul.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want people to sing from their soul, don't listen to white singers.

istewart
03-19-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While Nowell is a horrible example of this, this statement is ludicrous.

JaBlue
03-19-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While Nowell is a horrible example of this, this statement is ludicrous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Name 10 contemporary white singers with soul.

istewart
03-19-2005, 10:44 PM
I'm not going to get into a debate with you over which singers have soul and which don't. I couldn't think of a more futile argument.

JaBlue
03-19-2005, 10:57 PM
I'm not trying to start an argument. You can't just say "what you're saying is stupid" if you don't back it up. Your opinion deserves absolutely no respect unless you can support it. Sorry. If you're right, it should surely be easy for you to prove it by naming 10 contemporary white singers with soul. I'm actually very interested in whether or not this can be done because right now I can think of 3 max.

istewart
03-19-2005, 11:01 PM
There is no argument that can be made. You're arguing an intangible. "Soul" can mean anything you want it to mean.

mason55
03-19-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
right now I can think of 3 max.

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious who they are, so as to know what you think a soulful white man sounds like.

sublime
03-19-2005, 11:06 PM
like duhhhh

sublime
03-19-2005, 11:08 PM
sorry man. i think they are underrated. brad could jump from genre to genre in the middle of a song. 40oz to freedom is the shizzzit.

JaBlue
03-19-2005, 11:09 PM
From what you've said in this post it looks like you have no ability to judge soul. Some people clearly have soul and some don't. Some are on the verge of having soul and are in a grey area. However, white singers often don't even make it into this grey area.

Similarly, in jazz, blues, funk, etc. the best jazz musicians are predominantly black. This is in direct corrolation to soul. Some players have soul. You can tell by how they perform a song that they have soul. Black people just have more soul.

JaBlue
03-19-2005, 11:10 PM
They're all women.

mason55
03-19-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They're all women.

[/ QUOTE ]

None of them have names apparently?

JaBlue
03-19-2005, 11:33 PM
Joss Stone, Tori Amos, the white girl from the late 80s that had a nose ring... can't think of her name but it'll come to me.

istewart
03-19-2005, 11:36 PM
You can't quantify soul. It is a completely subjective thing. It has zero meaning to a lot of people and varied meanings for others. Sure, there's a genre "soul music" and all the stuff that's lumped under that, but this is like arguing whether football players have more heart than hockey players. There is no right answer.

You can easily make a case for Led Zeppelin having soul, by your definition.

And hey, Maroon 5 probably has it too.

JaBlue
03-20-2005, 12:40 AM
Zeppelin doesn't have a case for soul at all. Maroon 5 has a weak one. You can most certainly say whether someone does or doesn't have soul. The easiest way to tell whether or not an artist has soul is to see them live.

What is soul in a singer? It comes from soul music, which comes from R&B and blues. These genres stem from the African American community. This is why blacks have more soul than whites. It's just a fact of life, man.

Ulysses
03-20-2005, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't quantify soul. It is a completely subjective thing. It has zero meaning to a lot of people and varied meanings for others. Sure, there's a genre "soul music" and all the stuff that's lumped under that, but this is like arguing whether football players have more heart than hockey players. There is no right answer.

You can easily make a case for Led Zeppelin having soul, by your definition.

And hey, Maroon 5 probably has it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maroon 5 sucks
in every way
on that matter
that is all i have to say

youngin20
03-20-2005, 11:06 AM
1. Eric Clapton (not debatable)
2. Johnny Cash (the man)
3. Bob Dylan
4. John Lennon
5. Curt Cobain (if you dont believe me listen to Leadbelly's "Where did you Sleep last night" and compare it to his on Nirvana Unplugged)
6. Elvis
7. Roy Orbison
8. Justin Timberlake

and those are just off the top of my head. Soul come from Soul music? I am actually a big soul fan, but personally, Soul comes from being able to connect with an audience, and share a song/moment/feeling. Those mentioned above are all people who connected with a group of people. If you want to hear soul, give eric clapton's Me and Mr. Johnson a try (personally I like Robert Johnson's original version better, but that is because I am a big fan of the single performer genre.) If you would like to debate the meaning of the word soul, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Brock Landers
03-20-2005, 01:26 PM
For me, soul is conviction, feeling, and honesty. Yes, Brad Nowell to me had soul, even though istewart obviously has something against him. If you were familiar with his lyrics and his life, you can understand how his music contains the above three attributes. Best voice in the world? no. Best musical arrangement in the world? no. But Sublime was an extremely versatile band (punk, reggae, rock, rap, etc.) whose music and lyrics hit many (not all) people right between the eyes.

astroglide
03-20-2005, 01:36 PM
kiedis' voice is average-to-shitty in every live performance i've seen