PDA

View Full Version : Bob Knight-nothing short of awesome

Dead
03-19-2005, 06:00 PM
This needs to be said again.

Bob Knight is one of the GREATEST coaches of all time. He is right up there with Dean Smith and John Wooden.

Texas Tech was at the bottom of the Big 12 before he arrived 4 years ago. Now they are up at the top, with the likes of Kansas, Oklahoma State, and Oklahoma.

He can turn average players into superstars.

I give him a lot of credit.

istewart
03-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Now I await Texas Tech losing by 50 points in the Sweet Sixteen because of Dead's jinx powers /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dead
03-19-2005, 06:05 PM
If I really have those jinxing powers, then let me say two more things.

Illinois is an awesome team. I think they can beat anyone.

So can Duke.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

__Q__
03-19-2005, 06:14 PM
Bob Knight is a great coach, however, if you want to see how good he could have been if he wasn't such a nutjob, take a look at coach K.

Daliman
03-19-2005, 06:44 PM
I don't think his coaching greatness has ever been in doubt. But to say he turns average players into superstars is ludicrous. He consistantly had solid recruiting at IU, and he definitly elevates players game and team mentality, but superstars? No.

Matty
03-19-2005, 08:44 PM
There is a psychological principle Bobby Knight never grasped which dooms his teams in the tourney. I forget what it's called, but the gist of it is that as stress increases, so does performance up to a certain point, when performance drops sharply. Bobby needs to quit yelling at his players during postseason games. It's not the time for lessons- it's the time for performance.

That, or maybe he's a raving lunatic and he can't help it.

Having grown up in Indiana with Bobby, I suspect the latter is true.

Dead
03-19-2005, 08:59 PM
Texas Tech has never recruited top 50 players, even with Bobby Knight coming. I stand by the comments.

Reef
03-19-2005, 09:09 PM
they got lucky today- plain and simple.

Dead
03-19-2005, 09:09 PM
I wish they hadn't as well but meh. Another bet down the drain.

eric5148
03-19-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is a psychological principle Bobby Knight never grasped which dooms his teams in the tourney. I forget what it's called, but the gist of it is that as stress increases, so does performance up to a certain point, when performance drops sharply. Bobby needs to quit yelling at his players during postseason games. It's not the time for lessons- it's the time for performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

This concept doesn't need to be "called" anything, it's common sense.

If you have a putt to win the Masters, do you want your caddy to say "keep your head still, your wrists straight, your shoulders parrellel to the target, and DON'T leave it short!" Or, should the caddy say "relax and focus on the target, hit it nice and firm."

bort411
03-19-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bob Knight is a great coach, however, if you want to see how good he could have been if he wasn't such a nutjob, take a look at coach K.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't Coach K go crazy and miss coaching most of a season, I think 1994-1995, because he is a nutjob? Can any of you Duke fanboys confirm that he missed some time coaching because he was losing his sanity?

__Q__
03-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Or was it back surgery? (http://espn.go.com/ncb/s/2001/0530/1207454.html)

CCass
03-19-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Texas Tech has never recruited top 50 players, even with Bobby Knight coming. I stand by the comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Their best player this year was a walk-on as a Fr. (4 years ago). They weren't in the top 25 at the beginning of the season. Knight has done a masterful job this year.

And as for saying that he is "rigth up there" with Smith and Wooden, it is hard to compare any coach to Wooden. Having said that, Knight will finish his career with more wins than smith, already has more Nat. Championships than Smith, and will have more career NCAA Tourny apearances than Smith. So I would say that Smith is lucky to be mentioned along with Knight.