PDA

View Full Version : correct play with 88?

smartalecc5
03-19-2005, 05:31 PM
How do you guys think this hand was played by me.
MP1 was autorated as mouse with about 20 VP$IP.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, Button calls.

River: (13.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB

Shillx
03-19-2005, 05:34 PM
What is your plan if you don't catch an eight on the turn? That is the real question here...

Brad

bozlax
03-19-2005, 05:56 PM
Two questions: one, what was your turn plan if you didn't improve? Two, why didn't you bet out the turn when the 8 fell to try and get MP1 to raise you again? It's 3-handed, he's gotta be believing that his AJ is still good.

Actually, another question: what was Button hanging around with?

istewart
03-19-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is your plan if you don't catch an eight on the turn? That is the real question here...

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you recommend here for flop action?

Shillx
03-19-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you recommend here for flop action?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what I would do. However by betting the flop, you are pretty much tying yourself to the pot. A lot of players will auto raise the flop with something like AK so it is a big mistake to check/fold the turn UI after he raises the flop. I might check/call the flop and then bet the turn in this spot.

Brad

LoaferGee12
03-19-2005, 06:05 PM
I am check/folding this hand on the flop. You are way behind to any 5 or Jack. When you are ahead there are plenty of cards that will outdraw you. This pot just does not seem like it is worth getting involved in.

smartalecc5
03-19-2005, 06:31 PM
Thanks for your thoughts guys- they button ending up mucking his hand so I don't know what he had- but I think my turn plan was to check/fold b/c of his stats/playing style.

Womble
03-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Maybe, but there are only 5 cards that connect to this flop as it is paired so its likely no one has hit. I think OP has the best hand here and should bet the flop.

bottomset
03-19-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am check/folding this hand on the flop. You are way behind to any 5 or Jack. When you are ahead there are plenty of cards that will outdraw you. This pot just does not seem like it is worth getting involved in.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh the pot is 11SB that is plenty to fight for, the PFR likely doesn't have a 5, so you will be ahead of him a good % of the time

I think my line is check/call the flop

bet a turn blank
for a A,K,Q turn now its likely i'm chasing a 2outer and prob check/fold

I'm not sure how I handle a club hitting, check/fold seems weak ... maybe bet/fold? I don't think its a situation to check/call

SteveL91
03-19-2005, 08:16 PM
I think how you play the flop is dependent on your knowledge of the other players in the hand. If you know them to be predominantly calling stations, then I'd probably check/call the flop. On the other hand, if you know they'll fold if they don't catch any piece of the flop, I like betting out. I think the pot is too big to just throw in the towel, and I think there's a fairly reasonable chance you're ahead. I think betting is the only viable way to attempt to defend your hand.

Rev. Good Will
03-19-2005, 08:51 PM
check/fold the flop, though there are still 11 sb to fight for right now, reverse implied odds are dominating you, where any other hand that is worth staying in on would easily (as for MP1, probably AJ or a high PP).